Gumpaste/fondant Red & White Stripe Drape Over Star Cake

Decorating By DreamCakeBaker007 Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm by DreamCakeBaker007

DreamCakeBaker007 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:29am
post #1 of 4

How do I make this drape? icon_surprised.gif I'm having trouble deciding the best approach for this 4th of July cake for my dad's BD. It's the cake in the back of the Wilton instruction books for course 3 & 4. usaribbon.gif I need to construct a drape about 2 feet long with about 6 stripes of red and white each. How in tarnation am I going to do this and make it look very precise and even? I am a stickler for details and won't be happy if the stripes are uneven or droopy or swollen in places. HELP! I need some expert advise from those that have done this. icon_cry.gif

3 replies
Shola Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:56am
post #2 of 4

Hmmm, I have the Wilton 3 book and see what your on about, the drape is one long piece of white fondant and the red stripes are stuck on on top, so I think as long as you cut and stick the red stripes evenly it should look fine when you drape it, of course there is the problem of cutting and placing fondant strips that long icon_confused.gif Perhaps if you do them in 2 sections and make sure when you drape it the joins are hidden by one of the folded rumpled bits?

DianeLM Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 4

I second all of Shola's suggestions. When you attach the strips to the backing, be sure to glue the strips together side by side as well and roll over the drape lightly with a rolling pin. Otherwise, when you lift the drape, the strips may separate.

DreamCakeBaker007 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I was wondering if the red and white stripes were cut and glued together and lightly rolled together to make one complete drape???? That was the scary part. You don't think so? You think the red is ON TOP of the white? That might be easier, for sure! Well, I'll give it a college try and we'll see!

Quote by @%username% on %date%