Pastry Filling

Decorating By kimberlina25 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm by vdrsolo

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #1 of 9

i bought some pastry filling (cream cheese and raspberry) from country kitchens for a cake this weekend. i thought i had heard that it is best to mix with buttercream because it can taste a little overwhelming. is that what you do?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 9

I do both. I do not think it is overwhelming alone for the rasberry. I do not use the cream cheese filling.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #3 of 9

i mix mine with pastry pride...that i get at smart and final!!! delicious!!!!!!!

kimberlina25 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:07am
post #4 of 9

thanks! has anyone else used pastry filling?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:45am
post #5 of 9

Really, I've never heard that the pastry fillings can be overwhelming.....

I use raspberry & strawberry plain and they're both great.

BTW, I tried mixing some raspberry filling with b/c and it didn't taste like anything so I added more raspberry filling and then I had a runny and overly sweet soup..... icon_sad.gif

However, layering the fruit filling over b/c yields a fruit & b/c filling that isn't overly sweet and makes a lovely presentation when plated.

If you want to add fruit to b/c try the icing fruits:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591057-.html

HTH

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 9

I use the filling as is without adding buttercream. You really only need a thin layer of it though because it does have a strong flavor. People who don't love frosting (seriously, they exist??) seem to really like it.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 9

I use the sleeved pastry fillings all the time. I use them straight out of the bag except for the cream cheese filling, in which case I make a cream cheese buttercream that tastes just like using real cream cheese. I wouldn't use the cream cheese straight out of the bag.

I torte all my layers so I'm able to use thinner layers of the filling, I wouldn't recommend putting one really thick layer of filling because the fillings are slippy. Make sure you put a really stiff buttercream dam around the edge of each layer. Some people do mix it with a little buttercream to help stiffen up the filling but I have found I have no problems using it as is.

kimberlina25 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

BTW, I tried mixing some raspberry filling with b/c and it didn't taste like anything so I added more raspberry filling and then I had a runny and overly sweet soup..... icon_sad.gif

i have had that happen with jam, so i wondered if that would happen with the pastry filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

I use them straight out of the bag except for the cream cheese filling, in which case I make a cream cheese buttercream that tastes just like using real cream cheese. I wouldn't use the cream cheese straight out of the bag.

interesting, i guess i will leave my raspberry alone and add some bc to the cream cheese. do you just use a medium consistency or do you think a thicker bc is better with the cream cheese?

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

interesting, i guess i will leave my raspberry alone and add some bc to the cream cheese. do you just use a medium consistency or do you think a thicker bc is better with the cream cheese?

I use about a medium consistency for my cream cheese filling, about the same consistency that I use for regular buttercream for my filling. If you want my recipe, PM me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%