Please Help With Stacked Books!!!

Decorating By apetricek Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm by apetricek

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 12

I have a graduation cake on Saturday that is due, and the lady wants the 2 stacked books, with the grad hat on top....cap no problem but for the life of me I am drawing a blank as to the best way to cover the cakes in fondant to look the most like books....anyone that has made one could you help a girl out? Do I put fondant down, then the cake and then cover the one side and the top, and then add a another piece for the pages? I can airbrush it, or use colored fondant, doesn't matter to me...I know this probably that difficult I am just drawing a complete BLANK at the moment on how the best way would be to go about this, any help or suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate, thanks in advance to all you CCers! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:33am
post #2 of 12

The way I make a book cake is this: I cut away about 1 in from one side of the cake to make an oblong shape (the binding). I position the cake on the board and attach a white strip of fondant on three sides of the cake. Then I mark the page lines with a knife. I cut a piece a little bit bigger than the top and the binding (to simulate the cover) and finally attach a tiny strip arround the base to simulate the back cover.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 12

Does it have to be fondant? I did this one in bc:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230835

I can explain how if you are interested.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 12

Check this out...there are two ways of doing it on this thread. Obviously, I like the way that I posted the best!! check out my photos...I have two book cackes in there...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587141.html

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 12

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #6 of 12

Sharon can you do a book cover like you would do a hat box top? cut the top and spine a little bigger then you need it and let it set up.. then trim as you need it?

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #7 of 12

I have got to find an occasion for one of these. I just love the book cakes.

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:17am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Sharon can you do a book cover like you would do a hat box top? cut the top and spine a little bigger then you need it and let it set up.. then trim as you need it?

I do not see whay not!

you wont be able to get that indentation where the book opens, but thats ok i think.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #9 of 12

well I guess you could just form the binding.. and do the cover and bottom like that then icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #10 of 12

sure!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:35am
post #11 of 12

I did mine like Sugarshack. Books are amazingly easy, once you do them! You can handle it, I bet it will be adorable.

For the books I did, I painted them with food coloring and vodka, and then dusted them with gold highlighter while very slightly damp. It gave them an antique look.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #12 of 12

thanks eveyone for your help will let you know how it turns out! I checked out all your pics and I think I have a pretty good idea, this won't be the first thing I am jumping into head first, so I am sure I will do ok, maybe some 4 letter words later tonight, but hey as long as I get the final result! icon_lol.gif Hey Sugarshack...when I grow up I want to be you! Your cakes are AMAZING!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%