Please Help With Stacked Books!!!

Decorating By apetricek Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm by apetricek

apetricek Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 12

I have a graduation cake on Saturday that is due, and the lady wants the 2 stacked books, with the grad hat on top....cap no problem but for the life of me I am drawing a blank as to the best way to cover the cakes in fondant to look the most like books....anyone that has made one could you help a girl out? Do I put fondant down, then the cake and then cover the one side and the top, and then add a another piece for the pages? I can airbrush it, or use colored fondant, doesn't matter to me...I know this probably that difficult I am just drawing a complete BLANK at the moment on how the best way would be to go about this, any help or suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate, thanks in advance to all you CCers! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
ngfcake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:33am
post #2 of 12

The way I make a book cake is this: I cut away about 1 in from one side of the cake to make an oblong shape (the binding). I position the cake on the board and attach a white strip of fondant on three sides of the cake. Then I mark the page lines with a knife. I cut a piece a little bit bigger than the top and the binding (to simulate the cover) and finally attach a tiny strip arround the base to simulate the back cover.

jammjenks Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 12

Does it have to be fondant? I did this one in bc:

I can explain how if you are interested.

Sarsi Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 12

Check this out...there are two ways of doing it on this thread. Obviously, I like the way that I posted the best!! check out my photos...I have two book cackes in there...

sugarshack Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 12

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #6 of 12

Sharon can you do a book cover like you would do a hat box top? cut the top and spine a little bigger then you need it and let it set up.. then trim as you need it?

doitallmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #7 of 12

I have got to find an occasion for one of these. I just love the book cakes.

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:17am
post #8 of 12
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Sharon can you do a book cover like you would do a hat box top? cut the top and spine a little bigger then you need it and let it set up.. then trim as you need it?

I do not see whay not!

you wont be able to get that indentation where the book opens, but thats ok i think.

wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #9 of 12

well I guess you could just form the binding.. and do the cover and bottom like that then icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #10 of 12

summernoelle Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:35am
post #11 of 12

I did mine like Sugarshack. Books are amazingly easy, once you do them! You can handle it, I bet it will be adorable.

For the books I did, I painted them with food coloring and vodka, and then dusted them with gold highlighter while very slightly damp. It gave them an antique look.

apetricek Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #12 of 12

thanks eveyone for your help will let you know how it turns out! I checked out all your pics and I think I have a pretty good idea, this won't be the first thing I am jumping into head first, so I am sure I will do ok, maybe some 4 letter words later tonight, but hey as long as I get the final result! icon_lol.gif Hey Sugarshack...when I grow up I want to be you! Your cakes are AMAZING!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%