Feeling Down, Need Some Encouragment

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm by angelcakes5

angelcakes5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 40

I had a consultation with a friend's future daughter-in-law this past weekend. Her wedding is a month away and she finally decided on a cake this weekend. She wants a 4 tiered square, with dots and monogram, words Happily Ever after. Flower topper. Ribbon around each layer. Each layer cake has fruit filling and one layer is chocolate with pb. I quoted her future mother-in-law $625. Is this too much? I charged $2.78 a slice and a $25 delivery charge. I have to drive 30 miles one way to deliver and set up the cake. My friend just called and said the bride said that was too much, but her and her family are not even paying for the cake. I kinda feel down and just want to not make the cake. My cakes are good, I will say that and prices are going up but I think thats pretty good priced compared to what some places charge. Please help!

I forgot to say my friend said she doesn't care what the cake cost, she didn't think that was bad at all.

39 replies
Doug Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 40

1) what an INGRATE! --- someone else is paying for the cake (as a gift?) and she complains. Smack her up one side the head! BRIDEZILLA!

2) $2.78/slice -- reasonable (tho' math phobic me like nice round numbers like $3/slice)

3) delivery fee too low -- not even equal to IRS reimbursement rate of 50.5 cents/mile x 60 miles which would be $30.30

and if my math is right that cake is suppose to serve around 215 or so people???

then at $3 it would be $645 + $30 for $675 total. Still a bargain.

and we didn't even allow for the fruit filling$, the ribbon$, and other froo-froo detail$

I guess she was expecting supermarket (Hannaford/Wal-Mart/etc.) prices

mindywith3boys Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 40

I don't think that's too much! I think $2.78 is very reasonable! You should just wish her good luck finding someone else who can make her a beautiful cake for less! You don't need the aggravation.

becky27 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 40

look, don't be down...you gave then a terrific price...$2.78 a slice!!!! that is awesome!!!! you can't get anything here for less than $3.50 a slice!!! not to mention you only charged $25 for delivery??? sister that means a 60 mile round trip for you.....with gas prices up so high....omg your delivery should be no less than $50.00 dollars!!! you know i have a feeling that they are going to come back to you and ask you to do their cake...she is not going to get a cake made and delievered for what you offered!!!!! unless she goes to the supermarket or walmart!!! don't be down....you were more than gracious to them!!!!!!

angelcakes5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 40

Thank you I feel better already. I called my husband and he's been bugging me to start charging more. He said stick with that price and they can walk if they dont want it.

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 40

Dont go down !! Stick with your very reasonable price ! I think you should of rounded it to at least $3 a serving and charged double for delivery !

indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 40

Not everyone can afford you .... and that's MORE than ok!!

melodyscakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 40

let her get a quote from somewhere else. she'll be back
do not lower your prices for her.

good luck

Kitchen_Witch Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 40

Your prices are very reasonable. I would actually charge more for delivery, sadly thats just a cost that has to increase along with the price of gas. But for $3 a serving she is getting a beautiful wedding cake! Some people just don't have any idea and they hear the word cake and think they can get anything they want for under $50. I live in an area that is on the low end of the economic scale and we still have a bakery less than an hour away that charges $5.75 per serving as a starting price for wedding cakes. If she really doesn't want the cake for that price then she can go somewhere else. (and you know she won't) Your cakes are too good to go for less!

loriemoms Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 40

That bride is nuts. Stick to your guns...they will be back BEGGING because nobody is going to give them a price like that! Its a HUGE bargain!

superstar Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 40

Angel, you stick with your price, you have given her a real deal, don't back down, don't do it for less.
I agree your delivery charge should have been $50.00. Put your foot down now.

sugarcheryl Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 40

I think you could charge more but don't beat yourself up it's her lost. Just keep doing what you are doing. icon_smile.gif

patrincia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 40

People have absolutely no idea what goes into a wedding cake! If she wants to pay less, let her go somewhere else. She'll see your price is very fair.

IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #14 of 40

Most of us make cakes in order to make a profit. Stick to your guns.

Why bother turning your oven on for less than you think your work is worth?

I would much rather spend time with my DH then work myself to death for peanuts. icon_biggrin.gif

If they cannot afford my prices that is their loss, not mine. icon_wink.gif

bartar01 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #15 of 40

You do great work, and you were cutting her a MAJOR deal considering all the specifications. Don't back down on your price. She'll come crawling back to you, considering she is a month out from the big day and still doesn't have a cake lined up.

karenm0712 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #16 of 40

I think that is more than a fair price! Easier said than done but I agree with more $ especially on delivery. Stick to your guns, don't go below your initial quote. I agree with IHATEFONDANT; I would rather spend time with my husband and kids than make a cake that I wasn't making squat on.

Keep your head up! I bet she comes back just a beggin for you to make her cake! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #17 of 40

She could take everyone to Olive Garden, where she could spend over $5/person for pre-made frozen desserts .... http://www.olivegarden.com/menus/menu/Default.asp?server_path=/menus/dessert/

Or to Bravo's where she will spend between $4 and $6 per dessert ... http://www.bravoitalian.com/pdf/menu/bravo_dessert_menu.pdf

Or to O'Charley's for $4.99 to $5.49 a dessert .... http://www.ocharleys.com/desserts/

This bakery in YOUR area starts at $2.40 and $2.60 per serving: http://weddingcakesbybrenda.com/Wedding.asp

This bakery advertises in the yellow pages as serving your area .... your price is right in line with theirs: http://www.pumpernick.com/wedding.html

Yeah... I think she'll be back.

Tona Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:03am
post #18 of 40

Stick to your price. It is fair and you do beautiful work. I agree with the price of gas delivery should be 50.00. If she wants to pay less let her find someone eles to do the work.

foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #19 of 40

I think that's around the going rate for this area, and don't see why she had a problem with the price...

just_for_fun Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #20 of 40

And if she comes back close to the wedding, begging you to make the cake, you should probably add on a "rush" charge IMO, she will still not be overpaying.

mom42ws Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #21 of 40

hi, i didn't read all of the posts but i think your prices are very reasonable. in fact, too low! don't feel down. inevitably these things are going to happen. really, how far can she get with this design at a lower price?? i bet they come back to you! hang in there icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #22 of 40

Your price is too low. Stick to it. I had a bride talk to me about a cake. She said this other baker would do it for $350 but they didn't like her cake or icing. They LOVED my cake and icing and I quoted $450. They brought the deposit week before last.

pasteles73 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #23 of 40
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

Thank you I feel better already. I called my husband and he's been bugging me to start charging more. He said stick with that price and they can walk if they dont want it.

It is so funny, when i read your post I was thinking the same thing your husband told you icon_biggrin.gif I don't sell cakes for a living; but it sure sounds like you are giving them a deal!!! And the bride is ungrateful...she isn't even paying for it! Your cakes are beautiful and for the price it is a bargain!!! "stick to your guns" icon_lol.gif

PattyT Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #24 of 40

Is she crazy? She's haggling with you a MONTH before her wedding?

Your work is beautiful. I agree with all the rest that you should stick with your pricing - and when she comes back, I'd follow just_for_fun's advice and add the rush charge.

If she doesn't come back, relax knowing that her guests are probably eating a thawed out piece of xxxx !

sugarlover Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #25 of 40

No, that's not too much. Does she expect to get her wedding cake for $150. As much as ingredients are today with rising food prices. She's nuts. I would not lower my prices just because she a friend of the family. Maybe she can have Costco or Sam's Club do her wedding cake. People don't realize that we as decorators put our hearts and souls into these cakes. And your delivery price is even lower than others. Keep your head and don't let this discourage you. Either she's going to pay the quoted price or go somewhere else. icon_smile.gif

angelcakes5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #26 of 40

Well thank you everyone. I appreciate it. I don't think they are going anywhere but she is young and she probably has no idea how much cake cost. I know I will be getting the deposit this week. My friend the grooms mother has been getting a cake form me every weekend, jsut to have cake! And she always pays my price plus $20, it doesn't matter what size. I am just going to see what happens but I doubt she will go anywhere else, there really isn't anything else. Thanks again you have all made me feel 100% better.

CelebrationCakery Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #27 of 40

Hi Angelcakes...a fellow NYer here...I think you are running about the same that I would charge here in the Albany area. I know the bakeries charge much more though, don't let it get you down though.
She will either have her mother-in-law to be call and have you make it or she will be calling Price Chopper and have them charge her their $2.50 per serving with no picking if the design...and no delivery...so that means she will be picking it up and setting it up herself....I am sure your friend will talk to her again...let us know how it turns out. Best of luck!
I just noticed we share a birthday too!

superstar Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #28 of 40

Angelcakes, what did your friend say when you told her that the bride thought you were overcharging, I bet she was shocked. Just to get this straight, your friend is the groom's mother & she is paying for the cake......right? or have I got everything confused (not unnusual for me).

angelcakes5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #29 of 40

Yes the friend is the grooms mother. I never told the bride the cost, the grooms mother told me to jsut let her know how much and she will pay me. I guess the bride had asked her how much. The funny thng is the grooms mother has no issue with the price, the bride is having the issue and possible her mother too??? I will keep you all posted and see what tomorrow brings. Thank you all again. It really means alot that you are helping me. Its been a rough day!

servingzero Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #30 of 40

I'll never get over the nerve of someone telling another person that it's "too much". To me, that is insulting to you, the groom, and the groom's mother. If you can't afford it, fine, go with someone else. HOWEVER if YOU are not personally paying for it, and the person paying for it finds the cost acceptable...then shut your trap, and take the fine artistry that you are recieving!
Ahhh... then again, this is the art business. And sometimes it bites. Van Gogh only painted daises on a piece of canvas..........

Quote by @%username% on %date%