Delivering

Business By Babarooskie Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm by southerncake

Babarooskie Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

How do you all handle deliveries for cakes??

I charge for delivery, but I've rarely had to deliver a cake. I have a cake for Saturday and she wants delivery. When I mentioned that it's an additional fee she sounded, well...shocked. "Hello lady- gas is up to $4.19 a gallon for REGULAR!!"

What's the usual delivery charge??

7 replies
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

"Hello lady- gas is up to $4.19 a gallon for REGULAR!!"

That right there is EXACTLY what you tell her!! icon_twisted.gif

And add to it, "By the way ..... does Walmart deliver?" icon_confused.gif

A good response is to suggest that if she doesn't want to pay the delivery, she is always (!) welcome to come and pick up the cake herself, costing her not only the gas but also her time and inconvenience.

I only deliver wedding cakes. Anything outside my standard delivery area has a $1.25 per round trip mile attached. This covers the gas, tires, oil, insurance, gen'l wear and tear AND .... the payroll for the person delivering the cake..... because they are getting paid for every minute they are in the delivery van

jamiemichelle Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

I am interested in this topic as I am considering starting a home cake business and delivery is a concern for me because I have four children and a husband who works long hours. I figured wedding cakes I would deliver, but what about other carved or stacked cakes for other occasions? Do you just try to dowel them really good and give the customer specific instructions about transporting it?

indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemichelle

but what about other carved or stacked cakes for other occasions?

I don't care what they call it .... if it's a 3-tier stacked then it's delivered by me. Same reason I have the same pricing .. no matter if they call it a birthday or a wedding cake, it's all cake to me.

drowsyrn Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:42am
post #5 of 8

I just hired my first employee, before that I had to close my shop during the delivery. So I have to consider the time I lose being closed and the few more cake orders I could have taken if I didn't leave for the delivery. Consider everything and how it effects your business!

Babarooskie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 8

Well, I charged her $2.50 per mile. It came out to $16 and some change. I just rounded it up to $20.

So the total of her cake $140 including delivery.
Cake for 60 people...
And she said OK!

JulieB Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Well, I charged her $2.50 per mile. It came out to $16 and some change. I just rounded it up to $20.

So the total of her cake $140 including delivery.
Cake for 60 people...
And she said OK!

Yeesh, of course she said okay. Less than three dollars a serving, delivered, in Miami. That's a bargain.

southerncake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

"Hello lady- gas is up to $4.19 a gallon for REGULAR!!"

That right there is EXACTLY what you tell her!! icon_twisted.gif

And add to it, "By the way ..... does Walmart deliver?" icon_confused.gif

A good response is to suggest that if she doesn't want to pay the delivery, she is always (!) welcome to come and pick up the cake herself, costing her not only the gas but also her time and inconvenience.

I only deliver wedding cakes. Anything outside my standard delivery area has a $1.25 per round trip mile attached. This covers the gas, tires, oil, insurance, gen'l wear and tear AND .... the payroll for the person delivering the cake..... because they are getting paid for every minute they are in the delivery van

I agree completely! I charge $2 per mile round trip, and I state upfront that I use the milage on Mapquest so that there is no question as to the ## of miles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%