Need To Cover A Styrofoam Ball In Fondant/gumpaste-Any Tips?

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm by eieio1234

eieio1234 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 9

Last year I covered styrofoam balls w/fondant for a mickey mouse prop on a cake. I have another order for the same cake. Last time I iced it with buttercream, then put the fondant on.

THis time I'm using a fondant/gumpaste mix so it hardens better. My question is what should I put on the ball to make it stick? I've seen websites that say use drywall plaster, or royal, or water. I can see problems w/all of those. When I did buttercream, it was a little bit lumpy underneath, that's why I'm thinking of using something else this time. Has anyone done this?

8 replies
lapazlady Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 9

I've covered styrofoam with RI, let it dry and then sanded the RI to get the smooth surface I wanted. It takes 3-4 coats to have a really nice surface, time and patience are needed. HTH

sweetjane Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 9

I've used a thin layer of piping gel and it works fine.
HTH

MacsMom Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 9

I just brush piping gel over styrofoam, too. I've never had problems with bumps, but if for some reason you have a bumpy styro, just roll the fondant out thicker.

toodlesjupiter Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 9

Or corn syrup.

Juds2323 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 9

I just did one. I would suggest thicker fondant/gumpaste as well. I thought my ball was pretty smooth until I put on my fairly thin fondant. I just misted it with water and stuck fine. I would also make sure you have a sponge or something to rest it on as well.

HTH

Judi

eieio1234 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone for the replies. I like the corn syrup/piping gel ideas. Royal is good too, but I'll pass on it this time because I already have c.s. and p.gel so that will save me time to use those instead of making Royal. Good to know I can use water too.

As for lumps, it was from the buttercream underneath, not the foam. The cream all 'bunched' together as I maneuvered the fondant, that's why I was looking for another idea this time.

I guess I better get started on it!!

Solecito Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 9

Someone in here suggested me a while back, brushing shortening on to the styrofoam and it works great. I use this trick for my displays.

eieio1234 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 9

That's a good idea... it's not sticky at all though, I wonder if it would work on a ball like it does on a cake dummy...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%