Calling All Cuisinart 7 Qt Mixer Owners...

Business By jewelykaye Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm by sugarflour2

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 21

I purchased this mixer 2 weeks ago and tried to do Sugarshack's buttercream recipe which requires you to make a batch big enough to fill the bowl. Therefore, I have used 8 cups of shortening and 8 lbs of powered sugar as well as 27 tbs of liquid. When I made this last week the mixer turned off, which I've found out means it was protecting itself from overheating. So I figured I had a bad mixer. I returned it to Williams-Sonoma and received a new mixer. I just tried this mixer out last night and the same thing happened but worse. tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif About 6 minutes into trying to incorporate the ps the mixer shut off. I unplugged the mixer and let it rest for a bit then plugged it back in. The head then started to smoke icon_eek.gif so I stopped it altogether.

My question I guess is how full do you fill your mixer and have you ever had a problem like this???

20 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 21

Unfortunately, the Cuisnart does not have the strength of a Kitchenaide.

jewelykaye Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Unfortunately, the Cuisnart does not have the strength of a Kitchenaide.

See that doesn't make sense to me since the cuisinart has a 1000 Watt motor and the KitchenAide ranges from 250-575 watts???

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 21

I have the 7 qt and use SS's recipe also. I use 7 cups shortening and 7 lbs powdered sugar and have never had a problem. Maybe you are filling it too full??

BTW, I get the smoothest frosting with this mixer. Love it.

Susan

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 21

I've also got this mixer. Biggest, toughest bad boy on the market. I just made a batch of SS's BC night before last. I also do the 7 cups/7 lbs and have never had a problem. Could it be the load on the electrical system in your outlet???? Could you be getting pdwd sugar into the intake?? That 1000 watt motor can handle anything. I especially love it for making gumpaste.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 21

Mine also turns off constantly, I do not understand icon_eek.gif

jewelykaye Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamia

Mine also turns off constantly, I do not understand icon_eek.gif

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think I'm going to take mine back and get the KitchenAide Pro 600.

ladij153 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 21

Just a crazy far fetched thought.....are you somehow setting the timer? I use the timer all the time cause it's really convenient for me and at the end of the time the mixer shuts off. Before you give up on it try contacting Cuisinart and see if there has been a recall on some of them or if they are aware of any electrical problems.

ladij153 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 21

Just a crazy far fetched thought.....are you somehow setting the timer? I use the timer all the time cause it's really convenient for me and at the end of the time the mixer shuts off. Before you give up on it try contacting Cuisinart and see if there has been a recall on some of them or if they are aware of any electrical problems.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 21

I am a huge Cuisinart fan so I have done my homework. It is to much ingredients and it is making the mixer shut down when the motor gets hot. Try less so that it is not overworking the motor. This is a safety feature that is on the Cuisinart. The kitchen aid, which has a much smaller motor does not have this feature, so it will not turn off....but you will tear the motor up eventually.............

jewelykaye Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwithana

I am a huge Cuisinart fan so I have done my homework. It is to much ingredients and it is making the mixer shut down when the motor gets hot. Try less so that it is not overworking the motor. This is a safety feature that is on the Cuisinart. The kitchen aid, which has a much smaller motor does not have this feature, so it will not turn off....but you will tear the motor up eventually.............

If I use less ingredients then I will not be successful with Sugarshack's recipe. I'm pretty sure Sugarshack uses a KitchenAide and it doesn't seem to have given her troubles. Thank you for the input and least I know now why I can't use it. icon_smile.gif

jewelykaye Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

I haven't used the timer. But in this case I'm not even at a point of using the timer I'm still adding the ingredients, slowly.

Also I did contact Cuisinart customer service. I told the lady how much I was putting in there and she said that should be fine. Then I asked if the motor has a metal casing or a plastic casing. She said what do you mean. I told her the issues that come along with a plastic casing and she said oh, ours or metal... sounds fishy. Anyway she suggested I switch it for another new old (this would make the third mixer in 2 weeks) and if it doesn't work then they would send me one from Cuisinart. I'm not up for all of that back and forth. Seems to me the first or second one should've worked.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #13 of 21

Get a Viking icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #14 of 21

I love mine. My husband bought it for me in April for my birthday. I have not had a problem. I also have a Kitchenaid, which I also love. Hope you get it to work for you.
Melonie

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:44am
post #15 of 21

I love my 6 qt Kitchenaid. I also have a 4 1/2 quart they do a wonderful job for me. Have not tried the cuisinant

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #16 of 21

I have had my Cuisinart 7qt since Sept of last year. I use it a lot. I also make SS's recipe and for the 7qt 7 cups of shortening and 7lbs of sugar are exactly what you need. I use approximately 21tbsp of liquid. It may be that your not using enough liquid which is causing the motor to over work itself and turn off.

Cuisinart has more power then the KA. Simply due to the 1000 watts. Make sure when you clean it your cleaning all of your vents (there are two open vents on the underside behind the mixing component.

I know I personally wouldn't trade mine in for anything! I'm in the market for a second one as well *keeping my eyes open for a good sale!*

Good Luck

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:21am
post #17 of 21

I too have the 7qt Cuisinart, got it from Khols online when it was on sale about a month ago. I was so excited to use it and the first time, the padle wouldn't turn and the motor started to smoke. I think there is just some defective mixers that slipped by. The Khols store took back the mixer while online shipped out a new one. I was even able to change the color and get the chrome I originally wanted (they were out and I has to get black). I haven't had a problem with the new one.

ladij153 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 21

Jewelykay,

I'm so sorry this has happened to you! You have been through a lot for one mixer but it really is a good product, I really love mine. I also have a 4 qt KA which I love. I've had the KA for about 10 years and have had to have the worm drive replaced because I broke it making gumpaste. I am going to get the 500 watt Cuisinart as soon as I can afford it! A girl can't ever have too many mixers!!! LOL

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

Jewelykay,

I'm so sorry this has happened to you! You have been through a lot for one mixer but it really is a good product, I really love mine. I also have a 4 qt KA which I love. I've had the KA for about 10 years and have had to have the worm drive replaced because I broke it making gumpaste. I am going to get the 500 watt Cuisinart as soon as I can afford it! A girl can't ever have too many mixers!!! LOL

Hey now LOL. What's this "A girl can't ever have too many mixers!!! LOL" I just added a ten qt Hobart to the arsenal today icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

ladij153 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #20 of 21

OOOOPS!!! Sorry Mike, didn't mean to be discriminatory!!!! ROTFL I Should have said a cake artiste can't ever have too many mixers! I stand humbly corrected! LOL

Congrats on your Hobart! A market bakery here in town has a huge (10 gal.?) Hobart that they would like to sell. I wish I had the business and the space for it, I could probably get a really good deal on it.

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #21 of 21

For those of you who use the 7 qt. mixer, how much creme bouquet do you use?. My shipment of the creme bouquet was out of stock, so I'm using a recipe that I got from cc, 1 tsp ea. of lemon juice, vanilla, almond, and butter. how much of this should I use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%