Nfsc....without The Eggs

Baking By Eileenscakes Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm by snowshoe1

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 9

I am pretty new to the cake decorating world and would like to try my hand at cookie decorating but have one problem...my son is very allergic to eggs so I try to make everything without them. Cakes have not been a problem, a little tweeking of vegan recipes has worked but I am not sure if it would with cookies. I would like to be able to make a cookie that does not spread while baking so shortbread is out....any suggestions??

Thanks for you help! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 9

You should be able to use an egg substitute-health food sections have it. Be sure it says 'no actual egg product'.

I think the recipe needs the moisture and protein from the egg.

Eileenscakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks JoAnn, I do have some of the egg replacer but I am finding that it does not stick stuff together as well as an egg would.

I was hoping someone had already done all the trial and error with this one and could pass along the recipe!!

I have also substitued baby applesauce in some of the recipes I have tried for one egg but any more than that it does not seem to work.

Back to the drawing board for me (oh well, they always taste good even if they don't stick toghther and the kids love it when I am in my trial and error mode!!! lol)

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 9

sometimes the NFSC recipe needs a bit more moisture. I might add a bit more butter than called for in the recipe tomake up for the fats in the egg. then, if needed, a few drops of water. You can't really do much harm.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 9

I'm allergic to eggs and have had great success with various shortbread cookies. I would give you the recipe but the link is in my gmail which is not working at the moment.

I roll out the dough, cut, put in the freezer, then bake. Just about no spreading and pretty sturdy.

ziggytarheel Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 9
Eileenscakes Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Ziggytarheel, I am going to try these today, how long should I put them in the freezer for?

Also, what icing do you use?

ziggytarheel Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 9

I freeze them on the cookie sheet, cut out but not "unattached" for about 10 to 15 mins or so. Then I peel off the excess dough and bake. Sometimes I do two sheets at a time and transfer the cookies to one sheet to bake.

I use Toba Garrett's Glaze as listed in the recipe section here.

Hope it works well for you!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 9

Which egg replacer did you use? I use Ener-G egg replacer in NFSC and it works perfectly. I started using this when I found out my step-grandson was allergic to eggs - but I'm now using it in all my baking because the rising cost of eggs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%