Help....frustrated Baker

Baking By Sweettooth08 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm by Sweettooth08

Sweettooth08 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to this cake decorating thing. I make everything from scratch, which I am very proud of. The problem is I have a recipe that is moist and taste fantastic, but is way too soft for sculptured cakes, and another that taste ok and is great for carving, but is too dry and feels like a rock falling in your stomach. There has to be an in-between. I have my twinâs second birthday cake to do next weekend and I donât want it to fall apart or choke anyone. Can someone please help me? icon_cry.gif I have posted my very first cake icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 6

Do you use pound cake for carving? That usually works best. Also, do you bake from scratch or a mix? There are different fixes for either one. I bake from scratch and sour cream and an extra egg added to a basic pound cake recipe usually works very well and tastes good too.

Even a regular recipe can be made a little firmer with another egg, a little less baking powder/soda and 1/4 to 1/2 cup more flour.

These are just some ideas. Maybe some others gave give you more help than this.

gottabakenow Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 6

welcome to CC! I love your fondant details.

I've heard that WASC (white almond sour cream cake- in the recipe section) works great for carving, in addition to tasting great. it's a mix recipe, although I think there is a scratch one somewhere around...

I can't really help you much, but I'm sure someone will come and help. icon_smile.gif By the way, PM kakeladi if you want more details about WASC, or search for it- there have been lots of threads about it. I'm sure you'll find something that works!

TC123 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 6

Hi & Welcome to CC!!! You might like the texture/density of Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake. It's a scratch cake that is posted on another CC forum somewhere. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:58am
post #5 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, Sweettooth08. icon_smile.gif

Great first cake photo!

Decoding CC acronyms:

Elvis Presley's Favorite poundcake is delicious, and firm but not dry.

Here's that recipe along with other pound cake recipes suggested by CC members:

From scratch WASC cake recipes:

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow cake recipe:

Sweettooth08 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help. The extra egg white and flour advise really helped with my favorite recipe. Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

Now if I could only get the figure sculpting down, I'll be all set. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%