Those Itty Bitty "hairs"

Business By smab109 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm by Cakebelle

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 27

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's cake gets attacked by tiny microscopic fibers?

I was delivering a cake... before I get there, a black something or other floated onto and made a home in the nice white fondant....

Tell me there is a cure for these! Does it drive any one else batty or am I being too nit-picky?

26 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 27

You're not being too nit-picky if you can see it. That means that the customer can see it, too!

I've had little hairs get into my fondant while I'm rolling it out, too. I think it's just the stuff that floats around in the air no matter what you do. Just look over the fondant before you put it on the cake and pick out anything you see with a toothpick, there's not a whole lot other than that you can do!

I'm assuming that you clean the counters off before you roll out the fondant, too, of course.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 27

One thing I always do now is to wear white - a white t-shirt and/or a white apron. It does seem to help!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 27

oh my gosh im not the only one that happens too!! i knew it had to something in the *air* I just couldn't figure it out! I know have the cakes inspected by my daughter Eagle Eye to look for these darn *hairs*.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 27

Everytime I get ready to go bake/ice WHATHAVE YOU I always pull my hair back... hairspray it down.. pull it again back with a head band AND a sun visor like thing... My hair falls out bad so I take extra precautions. I also make sure I put on a clean t shirt that hasn't been worn all day to ensure none of my hair is on that... ANOTHER thing I do is to make sure and wrap my finished cake (if not going into a box) But even when going into boxes I wrap the top of the box... even though I keep my van clean there is always something in the air. And nothing is worse then getting to your delivery destination and finding something in your icing or on your fondant icon_sad.gif ..... SOOOOOO lol.. once again I carry cake only twizzers and lots of toothpicks.. just incase something has gotten past me icon_smile.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 27

I hate those darn little hairs!! I go nuts trying to avoid them. Mostly I find during transport you see them....too bad there wasn't this neat cover to put over our large cakes to protect them from the air!!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 27

Ditto here too! I even find them in buttercream as well. I try to keep those thin cotton kitchen towels on hand - (which I keep in a separate drawer to themselves away from the regular fluffy kitchen dishrags to keep the lint down even more) -- and if I am not working on the cake I try to keep it covered to prevent those stray floatys out of the icing!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Everytime I get ready to go bake/ice WHATHAVE YOU I always pull my hair back... hairspray it down.. pull it again back with a head band AND a sun visor like thing... My hair falls out bad so I take extra precautions. I also make sure icon_smile.gif

You can also take a lint brush and just roll it over your shoulders to get any stray hairs. I do that everyday before I leave the house.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 27

Happens to me, too. I just pick out very easy, slow and light with a toothpick once bc has crusted...if fondant, pick off and smooth if there is a slight dent.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 27

I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one having fibres on the fondant! These tiny things make me crazy! Like everyone said, they're in the air, so it's very hard to avoid them. I wash my hands every 5 minutes when I'm working with fondant, and i change the towel a 100 times a day, I cover the cake as best as I can, but those hairs still seem to find a way to get over my icing!!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 27

i dont they are hairs but like others said fibers..i pull back my hair, clean whirt and apron, everything super clean before i start..icing covered until ready to use, rolling pins, rolling mat clean, but still they are there sometimes lol

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 27

Wow! I was just going to post about this!! Is there anything you can do to "clean" the air? Those littlle fibers drive me INSANE!

lindsey312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsey312 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:21pm
post #13 of 27

I always notice then when using the Viva method. Tweezers have become a regular tool in my kitchen!!

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 27

In addition to wiping everything down within an inch of my life, I do a head to toe "once over" with a sticky roller.

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 27

I have also noticed tiny pieces of cardboard from the cake boxes float up onto my cakes. Those are just as annoying.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 27

Oh thank GOD I'm not alone. Please please please let me know if you ever find a cure for the stray lint on a cake icon_biggrin.gif

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm
post #17 of 27

be sure to add lint free towels to your shopping list........this will help to!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #18 of 27

I have a sticky lint roller hanging on my cake cart (my rolling shelving unit that houese most of my cake crap). I pull my hair back, wear a hat, give myself a thorough roll over and I still get the little fibers.. they suck. I'm glad it's not just me too.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #19 of 27

it was said before, to wear white!!! that helps alot!!!!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #20 of 27

What, you guys don't vacuum the air before you work? icon_lol.gif If you have a tendency toward being easily skeeved, you can't look at particles floating in a sunbeam without thinking, "Ewwww" icon_lol.gif

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #21 of 27

Oh, SNAP!! I hit 100

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #22 of 27

I think they're from the Viva, because when I don't use them, it rarely happens. I think even w/ the pure white Viva towels, there are still a few blue colored fibers that sneak through at their factory - and then on to my cake!!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

Oh, SNAP!! I hit 100

Hey, you count, too!! I would've PMed you, but I'm trying to get to 200!! icon_lol.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molliebird

I have also noticed tiny pieces of cardboard from the cake boxes float up onto my cakes. Those are just as annoying.

This drives me crazy!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molliebird

I dont have any hairs but man, I do get that cardboard dust! It is awful!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #26 of 27

Thank God it isnt just me!!!! WHEW!!!!!

I have found myself avoiding white and black icing....black is just as bad, I think they stick out MORE!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #27 of 27

I agree that wearing light colors helps! I hate lint! I use a small sewing pin to remove the visible ones!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%