What Tips Do You Use For Flooding & Outlining Your Cooki

Baking By ainsleyandmatthewmom Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm by bakinccc

ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 5

I've tried a few batches of NFSCs and the cookies turn out beautifully. (Though I do think I underbake them a bit.) I have a few questions about decorating them though. I've tried several royal icing recipes, my most recent being Antonia74's ( think that's it!).

1. What tips do you use for outlining and filling in/flooding?
2. Do you outline first, then fill in, or do you outline second, after the filled-in icing crusts? (or dries?)
3. When adding details, do you wait until the coating is all the way dried or just crusted?
4. How long do you allow to dry before stacking or packaging? Will the icing dry really hard, like crunchy hard? (like royal icing flowers for cakes)

one more....

5. When you do cookie pops, do you simply lay the stick UNDER the cookie and bake, or do you insert it INTO the cookie dough?

Thank you for entertaining my remedial questions. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 5

I use a variation of Toba's Glace for all my cookies.

What tip I use generally depends on the size of the area I am flooding. For larger areas, I use a #4 to outline, then immediately fill in the area in a zig zag pattern with the same tip. I smoothe the icing with an off-set spatula. For small areas, I will use a #2.

When adding details, I will usually wait until the icing has crusted. If I'm doing a lot of cookies, by the time I'm finished flooding them all, I can go back and add details or other colors.

I like to wait at least 36 hours before packaging. The icing will feel plenty dry, but stacking or packaging can crush the detail icing.

When I do cookies on sticks, I the stick on the cookie sheet, place the cut out on top, then gently press the dough around the stick. I've yet to have a cookie fall off the stick!

Good luck!

ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 5

One more thing....do you just let the cookies sit out on waxed paper to dry completely? Do you cover them in any way? Do they stay fresh?

Thanks!

GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 5

Yep, on waxed paper. I found that if I covered the cookies in containers, the cookie got kinda soft. Not such a bad thing for a regular cookie, but not what you want when it's on a stick! They'll stay fresh for a good week.

bakinccc Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 5

There are so many ways to do the cookies on sticks. I've inserted my sticks into the dough both before and after baking. Both ways work very well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%