New Cake Maker Wondering If She's Out Of Her Mind...

Decorating By sanerius Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm by sanerius

sanerius Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I am new to cake making and have been asked to make a cake for a family member's birthday. I would like to do a simple, 2-3 tiered cake and wrap the bottom of the cakes with a piece of fabric ribbon and have flowers on the very top. I know that fondant would be the best choice for this kind of cake, but I have NO EXPERIENCE using it. I'm wondering if I would be crazy to even try using fondant or if I should stick with buttercream. The problem with buttercream is that I'm not sure how to attach the fabric ribbon without ruining the icing job or the ribbon. Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated. I only have 3 days!

Sara icon_eek.gif

6 replies
peg818 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 7

stick with what you are familiar with unless you want to challenge yourself. As far as sticking the ribbon to the cake, just pipe alittle buttercream then place the ribbon while its still tacky

mommyle Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

You can also put tape on the back of the ribbon (sicky side on the ribbon, not the cake), and that will seal the ribbon so it doesn't get all disgusting.

lu9129 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 7

There have been other threads on CC that some say to iron your ribbon between wax paper so that the buttercream won't bleed on the ribbon. I have never tried it. Just a thought to throw out there.

lutie Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, stick with what you know... just make sure your ribbon is moisture proof. You can put waxed paper on the back of it (just use some non-toxic stick glue or tape to adhere the waxed paper to the ribbon (you could use parchment paper, etc.).

Fondant is a whole new ballgame.

gottabakenow Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 7

wow. three days to perfect a tiered cake? have you ever done one before? I'm guessing you haven't. wow. that's all i can say.

fondant isnt necessarily the best choice for a tiered cake, it's totally personal choice. in this case, I would DEFINITELY say buttercream. for sure. icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

I don't really have any advice about anything, but just wanted to wish you luck! and welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif

sanerius Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7

Well, I guess I've been told. Perhaps a sheet cake will be a better choice. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll have to see what happens. Fondant is definitely out of the question since it's almost 100 degrees outside. And about 90 inside. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%