Possible Money Saver For Hi-Volume Shops

Business By Laura102777

Laura102777 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 1

I don't know if this is even a good idea, but I thought I would put it out there in case anyone could benefit from it.

I was looking at cardboard boxes for delivery of stacked cakes, and I came across these heavy duty corrugated cardboard pads. I thought they might be an inexpensive substitution for the cardboard cake drums. There are a few definite drawbacks:

1) They are in really big sheets and must be cut to size. (I'm sure it would be easier to use a power saw, but it says they can be easily cut with a knife, so they should be able to be customized to whatever size you need without special tools.)

2) They aren't covered in foil like the ready-to-go cake drums that you can buy. (But a lot of people want to cover the board to match the cake instead of the standard foil that comes on the cake drums.)

3) You have to buy a large volume of them, so there is an investment of money and storage space. (You have to order them by the skid, and a skid contains 40. They are 1 inch tall each, so 40 stacked together would be 40"x40"x48". To have 1 skid delivered to me was going to come out to about $350. Just an example, but each sheet could be cut into eight 12"x12" squares and three 16"x16" squares, making them an average of $0.80 each.)

When I looked online, I couldn't find a 12" square foil covered drum for less than $2.75 or a 16" foil covered frum for less than $5.00, and many were a lot more than that. Granted, having them pre-covered is convenient, but it costs you.

I hope CC will let me post this link: http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_1856.asp?desc=Honeycomb+Void+Fill

I would love to hear some feedback from the hi-volume cakers as to whether or not you think this is a good idea. Thanks!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%