What Filling Goes With Red Velvet Cake?

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 6:46am by Shola

cakesbydina Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 8

my bride wants a red velvet cake ( never made one before ) and hates fruit fillings. ANy suggestions on what filling will go well with this? A recipe for red velvet ( from a cake mix) would be appreciated. What extracts would you use to enhance flavor for icing or mix?

7 replies
mj812 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 8

I use the red velvet cake recipe from Elisa Strauss's book. It's delicious. I use either swiss merangue butter cream in vanilla or the cream cheese version of this icing. Both are delicious with this cake. Hope this helps. MJ

Kazoot Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:57am
post #3 of 8

Cream cheese for me!!!

aztomcat Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:06am
post #4 of 8

I have made my red velvet cake from a doctored red velvet mix by adding the cake mix extender listed in the recipes here. I used crusting cream cheese icing for the filling and frosting.

yum.

tonedna Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:09am
post #5 of 8

I loooooveeee Cream Cheese with my red velvet..Is my favorite filling on it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JennaB Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:23am
post #6 of 8

Cream cheese all the way icon_biggrin.gif !!!

Shola Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:45am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj812

I use the red velvet cake recipe from Elisa Strauss's book. It's delicious. I use either swiss merangue butter cream in vanilla or the cream cheese version of this icing. Both are delicious with this cake. Hope this helps. MJ

Hi mj,
could you post or direct me to the SMBC cream cheese recipe, sounds yum!

Shola Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:46am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj812

Hi mj,
could you post or direct me to the SMBC cream cheese recipe, sounds yum!

Gah! Double post! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%