Fondant Help

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 2:54am by MacsMom

cakesbydina Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 14

a bride wants me to use fondant however I have only used it once nad it was a mess. Where can i find good instructions on using fondant. Also, what is the difference between fondant and gumpaste? She wants embossing as well. What is a good brand name tool for this? Thanks

13 replies
bashini Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 14

Hi there, the difference between fondant and gumpaste is that we don't use the gumpaste to cover the cakes. And when its dry, its dry harder than fondant. And you can use gumpaste to make flowers and figures too.

Here is a link to aine2's blog, which she shows how to cover a round and a square cake too. You have to scroll down and its on your right hand side. Hope you have all the tools you need to cover a cake with fondant.

And here is another link to Wilton site, which you can loads of information about, torting, crumbcoating etc.

Here is the link to Country Kitchen Sweet art, on embossers. I don't know what you excatly want, but thought I would give it anyway. There are some in Global Sugar Art site as well.

cakesbydina Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 14

thanks for the wealth of information and taking the time to respond. I appreicate it and will check out these sites.

tracey1970 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #4 of 14

Try Satin Ice fondant. I've had good reviews on the taste, and it's been easy to work with.

Tona Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #5 of 14

I also use Satin Ice it is wonderful to work with and my customers love the taste.

pasteles73 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 14

I also prefer to use Satin Ice ... it tastes great and I have great reviews from the "cake testers". icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbydina Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:41am
post #7 of 14

can you explain what satin ice is and how to use it?

pinklesley1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #8 of 14

i dont know when i first started i was using satinice... and then i realized that i could make it myself MMF and it would be cheaper and tastier... and it was... but now that the confectioners sugar is scarse and expensive, i have turned to premade...
so i went back to satin ice and me and my tasters... HATED IT...

and i went in search of something tastier and easier to work with, and i found pettinice, it is a little harder to find, the same price as satin ice ...
but the main difference is that ut us tasty just like MMF and it is super super soft, and alot easier to work with than satin ice...
i would recommend that you try both...

do not give in to the wilton monopoly...

mommyle Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #9 of 14

I make my own MMF (MarshMellowFondant) and Michele Foster's recipe. Both are tasty. I've made Toba's too, but I find it doesn't taste as yummy. And I'm all about the yummy. I cost it out, and it costs me maybe $8 to make just over 4 pounds of fondant. The 10 pound bucket costs me $50. Totally not worth it to buy it. Plus, then I'd have to leave the house, which I hate because people are stupid and I hate them. AND I have to drive all over hell's half acre to get to the place that sells stuff that is somewhat palatable.

MacsMom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #10 of 14

Grease a bowl, a rubber spatula, and your hands:

1 lb MMs
T water
** micro 1min20secs **
1/2 t salt
1 T glycerine or corn syrup
2 t flavoring of choice (I prefer 1 dram of LoRann butter flavor)
Stir in 2 lb PS a little at a time until you have to knead.

If you want color, stir it in before the PS

MacsMom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #11 of 14

Satin Ice is ready-made fondant. I don't like the taste and it tears easier than MMF with glycerine, plus it dries faster and has a dull finish.

I haven't tried FondX but I hear it's better than SI (well, most opinions).

I really prefer MMF. It's cheap and easy. I buy marshmallows and PS at Wal Mart for around $1.30 each--that makes 4 lbs of MMF for less than $5 if you figure in extract and glycerine.

cakesbydina Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #12 of 14

thanks for all the tips. However, you all are abbreviating and I dont know what you mean. What is PS and SI. I got MMF ( marshmellow fondant ).

I am getting mixed reviews on the satin ice. I guess you either love it or you hate it. How difficult is it to make MMF? Is it tricky or a tried and true recipe that turns out every time. I don't want to make MMF for the first time for a wedding cake. I am scared to try nad dont' have time to experiment before hand.

MacsMom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:40am
post #13 of 14

PS = powdered sugar

there is a list of all of the abbreviations we use somewhere on CC - I'll find it for ya!

MacsMom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #14 of 14

Here it is- Acronyms:<br%20/><br%20/>

Any fondant you use will have to played with so you know how it works before attempting to put on a cake for a client. Very large tiers are hard to cover, but with experience you'll find a method that works for you. For me it's jsut sliding my forearms well under the fondant piece and quickly but carefully centering it over the cake.

You have to take care not to tear it with too much pressure hanging over your fingertips and nails must be trimmed short.

Once it is over the cake it takes some practice to smooth it down the sides without creating folds/creases. Don't pull on it or it will tear. Use a smoother to help "iron" out bumpy BC (buttercream).

Your BC (crumbcoat) should be a s smooth as you can get it before applying the fondant.

If you try MMF don't use Jet-Puffed - it's weird (rubbery). Definitely add glycerine to make it more pliable and easy to smooth with creasing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%