Desperate For Ideas On This Sweet 16 Cake!!

Decorating By shantel575 Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 1:45am by shantel575

shantel575 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 12

OK this mom has me stumped!

She wants a 2 tier Sweet 16 cake for her daughter's party this weekend... this is what she gave me to work with:

1) the theme is "candy" (sweets)
2) the girl's favorite colors are chocolate brown and baby blue
3) if i want to, i can also use: pastel orange, pastel yellow icon_confused.gif
4) likes look of brown cake with blue stripes
5) the girl also likes basketball, cheerleading, softball and shopping

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that all of this is not possible to incorporate into this cake, and that's fine by me, but I am at a total loss as to what direction to go here! I love the "candy" theme... but how in the world do I make it work with these colors??????? icon_cry.gif And as for something to put on top of the cake.... i have no clue!

So any input, ideas or maybe even a drink would be much appreciated! lol (i actually don't drink but this may drive me to!) icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
emrldsky Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 12

BC or Fondant?

First thought:

One tier baby blue fondant, with different pieces of molded milk and dark chocolates kind of tacked onto it.

Maybe the other tier can have chocolate fondant, and find baby blue candies (laffy taffy, etc.) to kind of place on it.

I know it sounds a bit out there, but it might give you a jump. icon_wink.gif

shantel575 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 12

it will be iced in BC. The decorations can be fondant though. I am hoping to somehow incorporate more whimsy type candy pieces made from fondant in other colors... like lollipops, etc. but the chocolate candy idea is good too........ i don't have any molds or anything though..... eek! lol i will be glad when this one is done!

marthajo1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 12

Okay, here's what I think......

Bottom tier- chocolate BC with baby blue stripes (wide).
Top tier-baby Blue BC with narrow brown stripes.

Then make fondant candy 2-D shapes and attach them "randomly" over the stripes.

peppermint disks in slightly darker blue and white or blue/brown,
swirly lollipops in brown/white, brown/orange,

with a ribbon type bow on top with a big 16 behind it.....

doitallmom Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 12

How about one of the tiers being round or oval with fondant,RK or cake used to fashion the ends of a wrapper and you'd have an actual giant piece of candy? For the topper, maybe you could do a four inch cake with the bottom cut so it would stand up and make a fondant/gumpaste stck to form a lollipop? or maybe you could make an actual giant lollipop (fairly simple) and use that for the topper? HTH or at least jumpstarts your creative juices. Good luck!!

shantel575 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #6 of 12

thank you all for the ideas! I really appreciate it. And wow marthajo... a visual and everything... I'm in awe icon_smile.gif

justgale Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #7 of 12

as soon as you said candy I thought of this cake by Etta1025, it's got the brown gingerbread men, orange lolly, and yellow. Maybe you could do the bottom in chocolate buttercream with blue stripes and where the pink is make it light blue? Just a thought. what about some shopping bags around the cup cake on top and instead of a cherry have a small basketball topping the cupcake? Oh the gingerbread people chould be holding pom poms and wear little cheerleading skirts. Ok getting carried away here icon_redface.gif just trying to tie in everything.

shantel575 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #8 of 12

ohh that is a cute cake! i hadn't seen that before. thanks for the input!

bartar01 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #9 of 12

I know you said it's a sweets theme, but is the party also themed in her favorite colors, or can you go all out with the candy? Would a brown and blue cake fit in with the rest of her party?

shantel575 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #10 of 12

I honestly have no idea! It was like pulling teeth to get the info. that I did get! The mom and daughter were NOT very helpful that is for sure!

JulieB Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 12

Wow, Shantel, something like the cake in your avatar, with blue stripes, and can you get some conversation heart-type things, or maybe cut them out of fondant, and some life-saver kind of shapes, and some bob-bons with blue dots?

shantel575 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #12 of 12

thank you all for your help and input! Here's what I came up with after putting bits and pieces of all the ideas together..... i haven't decided yet if I like this one or not... it'll be one of those that either grows on me or makes me cringe in a few weeks LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%