Help Creating A Beach Scene Two Tiered Cake

Decorating By twinsmake5 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm by jessieb578

twinsmake5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 10

How do you go about drawing out a plan for your cake? I need to see it flat in front of me - not scattered in my mind. I don't have an artsy bone in my body - drawing this out is hard! Help?

The top layer is Wilton's middle paisley pan. Tiki hut goes on the fat side. Waterfall starts by the hut somehow and flows down to the bottom tier which is Wilton's largest oval.

I don't want the bottom tier to be all beach because I don't want sugar or crumbs on my cake - I'd rather put it on the cake board. If the board itself is the water .... how do I pull all this together? It's due tomorrow night.

9 replies
jessieb578 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 10

On the second tier you could put crab grass and maybe lay a surf board in it and maybe a wood path to the water and beach??

LeanneW Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 10

I am not such a good artist either so when I draw up a cake I write a description of each element so I will know later what I meant it to be. It is really helpful to do a cake sketch before you make the cake. This way you are focussed (you have a plan) and get it on paper while you are inspired, it helps you to remember what you wanted on the cake too.

I use colored pencils too just get an idea of the colors.

I try to use a ruler so lines that are supposed to be straight are and also get as close as possible to scale.

When I am finished with the drawing I write a plan for any pieces I need to make in advance and the sizes they need to be. If you don't draw to scale you won't know how big to make the waterfall and might place it in the wrong spot when you actually make the cake for example.

terrylee Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 10

I like to draw mine out gets changed several times but better on paper than the cake. Have you look in the gallery here at CC...there might be a visual that will help you decide.

I made candy sea shells, quick and easy. and used raw sugar for the sand. A little thin, thin spread of gel or icing held it in place.

post a picture when done.

marthajo1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 10

I'm not much help cause I can't figure anything out to put on a drawing for you.... but maybe what I have done can help??

jessieb578 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 10

marthajo, what a great drawing!! what program did you use to create that??

what a good visual!

LeanneW Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 10

wow that looks great, what program did you use?

marthajo1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks-- I used publisher. I made a tutorial for it. You can also use it with power point or even word (I have been told) though they do have slightly less options (I think-though I haven't tried- ain't broke....)

here is a link to my tutorial....

misha35 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 10

that's fabulous!!!! Thanks for sharing

jessieb578 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 10

wonderful!! thanks so much for taking the time to do that.....

what a great thing I'm definitely going to have to learn - amongst all the other things too icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%