Does Anybody Decorate On Wednesday For A Saturday Event?

Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm by sugarflour2

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 11

I know like myself that lots of us decorate 2 days ahead for an event.

I am going to be so rushed getting everything for the weekend done I was wondering if I could decorate my wedding cake for Saturday today (wednesday).

I'm using regular buttercream for frosting and filling.

TIA

10 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 11

Hmmm...that seems a little early to me. The earliest I would do it is probably Thursday...I try not to do BC more than a day or so ahead...

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 11

It can be done. I would refrigerate it though.
HTH icon_smile.gif

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 11

for me as long as you have somewhere to store the cake(a fridge) i do....its never been a problem before!!!! Good luck...and keep us posted with pics etc....and congratulations!!!!!!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 11

I agree for buttercream, for fondant I wouldn't give it a second thought! I have a fondant wedding cake due on Wednesday, and I will make & decorate it this weekend.

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 11

bonloviebabe, you leave the cake sitting out for that many days and the cake and decorations are still fresh? I always seem to have such a problem with time management, always working right to the last minute because I'm afraid to decorate any earlier than the day before. It would be so helpful for me if I could do most of my decorating a few days before. Also, what type of buttercream do you use for under the fondant, and what do you use for fillings?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 11

I usually bake them on Wednesday and decorate Thursday or Friday for Saturday orders. I have done them that far ahead and had no problems though. My only scare is that the colors may have more time to bleed if they are dark ones.

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 11

jammjenks, how do you store the cake until you are ready to decorate? thanks!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chae

jammjenks, how do you store the cake until you are ready to decorate? thanks!

After they are cooled, I just wrap them in plastic wrap and leave them at room temp. If I feel like it, I will go ahead a crumb coat before I wrap them up, then ice and decorate on Thur. I don't refridgerate them before or after decorating.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarflour2

bonloviebabe, you leave the cake sitting out for that many days and the cake and decorations are still fresh? I always seem to have such a problem with time management, always working right to the last minute because I'm afraid to decorate any earlier than the day before. It would be so helpful for me if I could do most of my decorating a few days before. Also, what type of buttercream do you use for under the fondant, and what do you use for fillings?

It's no different than starting a cake on a Wednesday for a Saturday wedding, like many, many people do on here! I will bake Sunday and leave to rest and chill in the fridge overnight, fill, crumbcoat and cover with the under icing (fondant) on Monday and leave to dry again overnight, top ice and do the details on Tuesday, deliver for 10am Wednesday. I really don't see the problem, I never have a problem with dry cake (and I bake from scratch) or anything going bad (don't use whipped cream, cream cheese or fresh fruit in fillings). Fondant is a great preserver!

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 11

thanks bonjovibabe, my next cake I'm going to start a little earlier to see if I can eliminate some of the stress I cause myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%