How Do I Make These Flowers?

Decorating By karateka Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm by Cake_Princess

karateka Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 12

I've got a girl who wants cupcakes with this flower on top. Does this look like gumpaste or RI to you? If RI, any idea what tip I use? icon_confused.gif I need to respond to her, so any help appreciated!!

11 replies
mindywith3boys Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 12

sorry, can't see the picture. icon_cry.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 12

Please post the picture.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

karateka Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 12
Cakechick123 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 12

it looks like gumpaste gerberas

I use gumpaste and Jem cutters to make them Im sure I've seen the cutters on GSA's site.

karateka Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 12

I have a lady who wants 100 cupcakes with one of those flowers on each. Does anybody have a pricing guideline for the flowers? I normally charge $2.50 for each cupcake. But I've never had to charge for gumpaste flowers before....

buttercream_dreams Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 12

yeah...i'd just buy them..i think you ladies (and i'm sure its the majorty!) are crazy for making all you own gumpaste flowers...how tedious. by the time i'd be done making all of those flowers, whatever they were willing to pay up to wouldnt even be worth it to me! jmo.

karateka Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #8 of 12

I don't know where I'd buy them. Do any of you have any pricing help for me on this? I sure could use it...

Thanks in advance..

Cakechick123 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:36am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercream_dreams

yeah...i'd just buy them..i think you ladies (and i'm sure its the majorty!) are crazy for making all you own gumpaste flowers...how tedious. by the time i'd be done making all of those flowers, whatever they were willing to pay up to wouldnt even be worth it to me! jmo.

In South Africa we dont have suppliers of gumpaste flowers, so here we HAVE to make them ourselves icon_smile.gif I find it very therapeutic to make flowers, so dont find it tedious at all!

K, its quite fast to make those, if you have the cutters of course. I normally do them production style. Our currency is different, so cant help you on a price, but i normally work out how long it would take me and charge per hour.

Lenette Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:57am
post #10 of 12

I start my cupcakes at $2. Having just done over 250 this past weekend, one wedding with a flower on each cupcake, another with painted butterflies please take it from me and make it worth you while.
It took me 4 hours just to do the butterflies!

If you start at $2.50 I would go up to $3 maybe even $3.50 with the flowers. Good luck, I am sure they will be lovely!

Oh and someone on here recently posted a picture of cupcakes with beautiful gerberas and butterflies. Maybe you could find it in the gallery and PM for a how to. Other wise if you get Wedding Cakes Design Source magazine there are instructions in the newest edition.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

ETA:

Here is the photo I was referring to above:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1232582

I hope this works! icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:55am
post #11 of 12

For a large gumpaste gerber (about 4 inches) i get $5 each. For cupcakes you would need smaller ones, so i would go right around $3 each.

Cake_Princess Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercream_dreams

That's why you need to price your product to account for the time you took to make them. If your client wants something that's time consuming then as a cake decorator you need to explain to the client that it's time consuming and give them the price. Let them decide if they are willing to pay the price or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%