Help!!! With Brownie Cake

Decorating By leepat Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm by ibmoser

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:52am
post #1 of 9

I need to make a grooms cake out of a brownie recipe and then cover it with fondant, Does anyone have a recipe that will stand up to be covered with fondant then stacked?

8 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 9

Most brownies are pretty dense - I would think that your favorite recipe baked in whatever cake pan you need would support fondant. Just handle like regular cake layers, doweling if you stack or tier.

Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 9

When someone wants a "brownie cake" from me, I use this recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-STOUT-CAKE-107105

It's a Chocolate Stout Cake, but it comes out pretty dense and holds up to fondant. My Graduation Beer Mug is made out of it!

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 9

I've been successful baking standard brownie batter in any size cake pan I wish as long as it isn't filled more than 1 - 1.5 inches.

Just out of curiosity, how many layers tall are the ties of this brownie cake going to be?

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:58am
post #5 of 9

It will be 2 layers high and 4 tiers stacked.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 9

Wow... that's going to be one dense cake!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 9

The chocolate mud cake recipe here on CC makes a very dense brownie type cake that holds well to stacking... did a topsy turvey with it... tastes absolutely divine.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2107-2-Dark-Chocolate-Mudcake.html

Good luck and cant wiat to see it

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 9

There's one in the Cake Mix doctor that I really like. I mean it's so much fun to make brownies or choc cake from scratch but anyway it's ideal for this purpose. It's one cake mix one pint of melted ice cream and three eggs. Make sure your pint ot ice cream melts into 16 oz--some has more air pumped in so fill measuring cup to 16 with water or milk if it's short.

But I use choc cake mix, choc ice cream and the eggs it's awesome handles nice dense brownie like. I've used it for the top layer in a brownie bottom cheesecake groom's cake concoction.

You can use any flavors of ice cream and cake mix.

I was gonna double check on if it's 3 or 4 eggs but I don't see my copy of the book here anywhere so nail that down first if you try this.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 9

Ooooooh - just checked out that Cake Mix Dr recipe - it is 3 large eggs and sounds fabulous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%