Hershey's Chocolate Cake

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm by onceuponacake

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:36am
post #1 of 17

Is this too soft to make a stacked wedding cake? Any ideas or tips?
What recipe is the most commom for chocolate wedding cakes?
Thanks!

16 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmoral

Is this too soft to make a stacked wedding cake? Any ideas or tips?
What recipe is the most commom for chocolate wedding cakes?
Thanks!

If it's the same recipe that my in-laws use, I would do a test run first. icon_smile.gif HTH!

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 17

I have made the Hershey's cake before, and it is a really good cake. However, I don't think it is sturdy enough for a stacked wedding cake. I have a recipe on here that is my basic chocolate cake that people RAVE over. It is super easy and very sturdy while still being very moist and yummy. Search in the recipes for "Trixie's Chocolate Stout Cake." I used this recipe for my last wedding cake I did last month. Worked beautifully!

sjmoral Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 17

Now I'm really nervous and freaking out... I did a test and the layers broke on my hands when stacking and it was only the 8 in.
Thanks Trixie but I have my 3 kids with me and don't I don't feel I can run to the grocery store for cake mixes. I will try to find something and maybe use the Hershey one in the middle. icon_cry.gif
I'll see what I can do
Thanks again icon_confused.gif

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 17

I'm not familiar with the recipe... does it contain butter? If so, try this:
chill your cake layers really well before you stack them. butter cakes are much more sturdy when cold.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 17

I love the Hershey cake! It is my most popular chocolate cake. However - I tend to use it only with top tiers - maybe a middle tier if the top tier is a lighter cake. However - if I use the SPS system to support the cake then I can get away with using it on the bottom! Does this make sense?

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 17

I only use the Hershey recipe, it is really dense and takes torting well for me. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong! icon_biggrin.gif

I've made it an 8" 3 layer cake before, but mostly bake it in a glass 9x12" pan, (twice for one layered cake, keep forgetting to buy another pan) - maybe the glass bakes it differently???

I don't think any of that was a help...but I wish you luck!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 17

I have used it many times, I always freeze the cake overnight though before torting and frosting. This really seems to help with the stability. The cakes should be supported by pillars/dowls/straws and a board so the type of cake you use shouldn't really matter.
If you are worried try a test cake first.
Best of luck, Tracy

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 17

the Hersheyâs cake was the first scratch cake i ever made, the first time it was delicious light moist chocolate cake, the second time i made it I got a really dense cake but it was good, and the last time i made it came out so dry i had to toss it, each time i made it exactly the same, i have no idea what happened, so now i went back to the box. icon_redface.gif

sjmoral Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 17

Freezing is not an option for me but I can make the cakes take turns in my small refrigerator but by the time I get to the hall to assemble them it won't make a difference. There will be pillars and a board under each one.
Now another question...
The recipe says it is 10-12 servings, is this true? If this is true I have to make the recipe 30 times for 300 people!!
I am mixing the dry ingredients right now...
Thanks to all for your support.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:49am
post #11 of 17

By the way, I always bake my cakes beforehand and wrap in Saranwrap & chill in fridge. Makes it so much easier to torte. Haven't ever frozen them, but that would likely work too.

A trick I do is I make zipped bags of all the dry ingredients by the batch ahead of time - you should see my counter with 6-8 bowls all spread out. Helps me be more organized when I start production of the batches (usually doubling at a time).

Good luck, hon!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:31am
post #12 of 17

Good lord, don't ever pay attention to the nonsense of 'serving sizes' recommended by manufacturers! I use the Killer Chocolate cake recipe on here that is a variant of Hershey's and is fabulous. I am baking one right now for a wedding cake! The full recipe makes enough for 2 9x2in rounds, so you should be able to work out how much you need from that, if you have problems, pm me the sizes you need to bake and I'll tell you how much batter you will need for each size.

Hope that helps!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 17

You can use any kind of cake for a stacked cake. Remember, at no time will the other cakes be resting on the bottom cakes when doweled correctly.

Remember, if people use plain cake mixes to stack cakes, any cake will work.

sjmoral Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #14 of 17

Thanks everyone, the cake was fine, it didn't fall or break!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1236266.html

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #15 of 17

can someone post the recipe?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

can someone post the recipe?

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184

it is also on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can - it is REALLY good chocolate cake and very easy to make.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 17

thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%