Question For Uk Decorators

Decorating By Chrisi Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 9:57am by eilers

Chrisi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:34am
post #1 of 4

I have been watching clips on YouTube and I am seeing a lot of decorators using marzipan then fondant to cover cakes. Is this an every day type of cake? Is butter cream frostings not the norm? What does marzipan taste like?

Just was wondering.

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:40am
post #2 of 4

I'm not in the UK so I may have this wrong...

Fruit cake is the traditional special event cake in the UK. Marzipan is used to cover it to keep dark liquid from seeping out of the cake, and to provide a smooth surface for the fondant.

I've made marzipan before though...

Marzipan is a mix of ground almonds, powdered sugar, corn syrup and some almond flavoring. It tastes like a slightly dry candy dough with an almond flavor, and has a slightly coarser texture than fondant but ends up with a smooth outer surface when you work with it. You can buy marzipan at the grocery store and taste it, but it's expensive enough (about $5 for a 7 oz tube) that if you were going to cover an entire cake in it, you might need to make your own. I've never put it on a cake, but I made a bunch of marzipan fruit for a cake that was carved to look like a fruit bowl. Marzipan is easier to work with than fondant, a little stiffer and not as sticky. It looks nicest when you model it without coloring it, and then paint the color on afterwards.

bashini Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:22am
post #3 of 4

Hi Chrisi, Texas_Rose is correct. Most of the time for weddings and other especial occasions, here they use fruit cake. But I have to say that now lots of people try different kinds of cakes. We use sugarpaste( fondant) all the time. Even for sponge cakes some use marzipan and then cover it with sugarpaste. And some use sugarpaste alone.

eilers Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 9:57am
post #4 of 4

Chrisi,
Agreed all said before! Just to add that it tastes gorgeous with fruitcake, as it balances the sweetness of the fondant or royal icing outer, with the less sweet fruitcake inside. Love it!
I'm not so keen on it being used on chocolate/sponge type cakes, although no doubt it helps to create a smooth finish to the cakes. A lot of big decorators ie Mich Turner at www.LVCC.co.uk, and Peggy Porschen use it a lot.
Texas-Rose is quite right ... it is quite expensive - although it's far too much hassle to make it myself!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%