Another Question Re: Dummies

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 4:22am by Skidoochic

Skidoochic Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #1 of 6

I can't figure out how to use fondant without it tearing, looking lumpy, or tasting awful - so I pretty much only use buttercream. I have a wedding coming up where the bride wants a cake for 300 but is only expecting 50 guests. icon_cry.gif

In all the posts I have read, it sounds like the only way to cover a dummy cake is with fondant. Can you cover it with buttercream? If not, can I do the real cake in buttercream and the dummies in fondant or will that be too obvious? I really wish I would have said no to this cake! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
BrandisBaked Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 6

You can absolutely cover a dummy in buttercream. And no it won't be obvious.

Ruth0209 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:53am
post #3 of 6

Why in the world does she want a cake for 300 when she's only having 50 guests? Just so she'll have a spectacular cake for her pics? That is so odd to me.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question, but couldn't help but comment on her request.

mgdsue02 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #4 of 6

I would think you could use plastic wrap to cover the dummies and then cover that with buttercream. Never tried it, but it should work. Good luck!

debster Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 6

Yep what Brandi said thumbs_up.gif I had the same thing this week a Bride is having 50-75 but wants a big cake for looks. She said what about doing a dummie, I say You know I have to decorate the dummie just like the real ones and there will be a charge. She went with the real thing. No extra. We all want the champane on the beer budget. icon_lol.gif

Skidoochic Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:22am
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys.

I agree that it is crazy to do a big cake like that for 50 people and I charged her. I feel real bad. ($300.00). But like you said, I still have to do all the work.

I will have to let you know how it turns out. I have never done a fake cake before mixed with real cake. Wish me luck. This one's not until August so I have time to practice! (I don't know how to post pictures or I would do that!)

Thanks again for your help/advice. I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%