Rubber Stamping Fondant

Decorating By cleeg1 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm by -K8memphis

cleeg1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cleeg1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever tried to make a design on fondant (aside from an impression) using rubber stamps and coloring? If so, what kind of coloring did you use and did you thin it?

5 replies
Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried it other than using them to make impressions. But I am going to try it now! icon_biggrin.gif I will most likely try it with thinned down royal icing, and also possibly with food coloring mixed with alcohol....hm

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:33am
post #3 of 6

I havn't tried but I was thinking about this too! As kitchen witch says thin with alcohol and then I would soak a small piece of sponge with colour and use that for the stamp, I think it would work just fine, just make sure the colour is not too thin and do a few 'blotter stamps' first to get the excess off and then one on the fondant! icon_smile.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 6

there is a cake in my gallery (black and white with gold scrolls) that has a monogram plaque on it that I rubber stamped on.

The stamp is an ordinary rubber stamp and since it is a dummy I used real ink so it wouldn't fade.

Oh wait... there is another cake in my gallery, burgandy paisley rubber stamped on the middle tier. for this I bought a blank stamp pad, just foam really, and mixed americolor gel with vodka and rubber stamped like normal.

only tip I have is to let your fondant dry a bit before stamping, I ended up getting some deep impressions which isn't what I wanted

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 6

Airbrush color works great for "ink". The silicone stamps work great too. They are also easier to place. I mostly use stamps for impressions on the cake boards. It looks great and is very easy to do.

leannewinslow is right, let it dry a little bit before stamping. Otherwise you will just get an odd dimple. Also, keep away from any wrinkles. The wrinkles will wick the ink away make some crazy lines.

If someone mentions the problems with latex being used on cakes (rubber stamps are made with latex), then you can just use the silicone stamps. Like I said they are easier to use because they are clear. Many times they are less expensive as well.

HTH

Michele

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 6

I saw Jacques Torres do this once with colored cocoa butter. I tried it and it was kinda messy for me. But it sure worked great for him. I didn't diddle with it very much though. My stamp was very detailed and his was very simple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%