What Questions To Ask When Meeting With A Bride

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 1:43am by dogluvr

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #1 of 5

I have mostly been doing regular cakes and have done only 3 wedding cakes and they have been for friends and family. A coworker emailed me and asked if I will do her daughters wedding cake for October. Is there like a "standard" list of questions that you ask a bride to be?

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #2 of 5

I don't have a list of questions per se, but my advice would be to get the basics down at least before you meet (so you can assess whether or not the cake is something you feel confident you can accomplish and you can have photos and quotes ready that are tailored to her needs).

This thread is awesome for info on how members here do a cake tasting/consultation for cakes (generally weddings):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-14134-consultation.html

Some questions I ask before we even meet are:

-what's the date of your wedding?
-where is the reception?
-how many people attending?
-is the cake your main dessert, or is it part of a late-night buffet?
-how many slices do you want it to feed?
-is the reception indoors or outside?
-do you have ideas for your design already?
-specific colours or a theme for the wedding?

maybe even "is there a budget?" if you don't have your prices indicated on a website or someplace she can see them. She might not have any idea how much you charge and a meeting might be futile if you are WAY out of her price range. Save yourself the hassle and let her know a price range before you meet.

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 5

I agree with Antonia74, also can you ask: what kind of flowers do you have for your wedding?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #4 of 5

"Who is cutting the cake? Do they KNOW they are cutting the cake? Have they ever cut a cake before?" (Feel free to refer them to my website page ... or print it out for them ahead of time ... on how to cut a wedding cake.)

"What time does the reception start?" This means "what time did you tell your guests to arrive at the reception?" With this info, you then determine what time you will deliver the cake and you should CONFIRM with them that the site will be open and someone will be there at whatever time you need to set up.

(One bride wanted me to deliver the food when "all the other vendors" were delivering the flowers, DJ stuff, etc. I had to explain to her that I was still going to be cooking/prepping her food at that time and unlike her daisies that could be plunked down in a glass of water for 6 hours, food had VERY STRICT rules on how long it could sit out and so no, I could NOT deliver the food 4 hours ahead of time! icon_mad.gif )

Confirm they have or will be providing the plates and forks for the cake. Trust me .... just do it. You'll be AMAZED how many people never think about what they are going to eat their cake off of! This is such a problem that I have a statement to this effect on each and every order form. If they are having the reception at a major hotel, it's never a problem. But if it's a "bring your own everything to the Knights of Columbus" ... you BETTER make sure the bride understands you do NOT provide plates/forks (unless, of course, you do).

Discuss your payment policy and terms.
Discuss your delivery policy.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 5

thank you all so much. This is very good information. Most of which I would have never thought of. And thanks Antonia74...that link provided alot of good info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%