Brownie Cake

Decorating By leepat Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm by LNW

leepat Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 10

I have a groom that wants a brownie cake covered in chocolate fondant. Does anyone have a recipe for this kind of cake that would hold up to being covered in fondant then stacked?

9 replies
LNW Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 10

I have a recipe for dark chocolate mud cake that tastes just like a really fudgy brownie, but itâs not brownie. The texture is denser. I used it for a groomâs cake and I think the guests liked it better then the brideâs cake. They wonât need a big cake as this cake is extremely rich and chocolaty. I teeny tiny slice will do, and a giant glass of water lol.

1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup good quality dark cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking powder)
2 1/2 cups sugar
8oz dark chocolate, chopped
8oz butter
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons coffee powder or granules
4 eggs

1. sift flour, cocoa and soda into bowl. Stir in sugar
2. melt chocolate and butter in pan until smooth. Add and stir in water
3. gradually stir in choc. mixture to dry ingredients
4. whisk buttermilk, oil, coffee, and eggs in sparate bowl until combined.
5. Add into cake mixture and combine well. Pour into prepared tin. (Make sure it is lined well with baking paper (leave a 2cm collar above the rim).
Bake for 1 hour and 40 mins on 160 degrees C. (315deg. F/Gas 2-3) until skewer comes out clean

I have never baked this cake as long as the directions say too. I usually make it about an hour 10 minutes before itâs done in my oven so if you do try it keep a close eye on the cake. And you absolutely MUST line every inch of your pans. The cake will never come out if you just grease and flour.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 10

would a child like this?

jen1977 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 10

Does he just want brownies stacked? If that's what he wants, you can just use your favorite brownie recipe!

likitiki Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 10

What size pan do you use for the mudcake recipe?

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #6 of 10

I do a brownie bottom cheesecake and wanted it two layer and needed a kinda heavy duty chocolate cake to make the other layer so it would all kinda be the same consistency y'know.

So all that to say there's a great recipe in the Cake Mix Doctor. It's chocolate cake mix and a pint of chocolate ice cream and some eggs. But I mean you can use any combination of cake and ice cream. It's a wonderful wonderful cake. Do you have the book?

hwnhulahands Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #7 of 10

thanks for the recipe

lindy01 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #8 of 10

thanks for the recipe i'm going to make it tomorrow, after i go buy some chocolate : )and buttermilk.

osorio Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for sharing this recipe !

LNW Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 10

For a while it was what all the kids in my family wanted for their b-day cakes. My child loves it, sheâs 6 1/2yo.

That recipe doesnât make a lot of batter. Itâll make 2 nice sized layers of 8 inch cake. Youâll have to double it for a sheet cake or something bigger.

I make this cake a lot and eat it just like a brownie. I dust a little PS over the top or warm it up in the microwave and top with a big scoop of ice cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%