Mediocre Review

Business By KoryAK Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm by KoryAK

KoryAK Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 41

Ok, so I set up an account on weddingwire.com and got 2 good reviews, then this mediocre one. I can handle it if I screwed something up, but this lady has ticked me off. Back story: 3/07 she orders the cake and 6/07 needs to cancel it. So I say sorry, but the $100 deposit is non-refundable. Shes OK with that. 3 days later the wedding is no longer off, but postponed. I tell her its normally non-transferable, but I will let her use it if the new date is within 6 mos. Nope, its going to be 6/21/08 which is a premium date with a minimum order of $1000. Shes ok with this until she needs to change it to 6/14 which only has a minimum order of $700 (her original order is $820 so no worried now). Also during this time we have switched cake sizes like 3x and in every email she goes on and on about how lucky she is to have found me and thanks thanks thanks for my help and flexibility. Then I get this s--t review:

http://www.weddingwire.com/vendor/VendorViewRating?vid=9202adeb0fb2844a

"The cake itself tasted very good. It was delivered on time and set up nicely. Although the color was off (the berry ended up being more lavender, & hardly any gold shimmer) on the brides cake, we didn't mind when we saw the grooms cake. I thought the pricing was a little high, but sometimes you have to pay a little more for peace of mind. I understand the deposit policy, and extra charges for premium dates, I just don't feel that it's good business practice."

I wanna know if I should write this in response (will be visible under her review):

We are glad that you enjoyed the flavors and the look of the groom's cake. The "berry" color was matched to the paint swatch that was chosen over a year ago, perhaps we should have taken a second look at that. However, we do not have any extra charges for premium dates. We do have a minimum order for certain dates, but your desired order was more than the minimum, so the point was moot.


Is that ok? should I just leave it alone?

40 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 41

I would delete the part about taking a second look at the color swatch. But I would respond and I would say all the rest.

I think I would comment that the buyer's remorse on the price and a slight color variation are not equal to the mediocre rating but c'est la vie.

Naw changed my mind don't do that ^^^

Or

Emphasize that they loved the cakes and designs and customer service,.

Oh! I got it--quote from one of the emails where's she's loving you!!!

Geez you really put your neck out there to get rated like that. Can you call 'em and tell to lighten up? That's pretty not cool of her.

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 41

Kory,

I know it's tough but I would either do nothing or just pitch a full on softball like this:

We are glad that you enjoyed the flavors and the look of the groom's cake. We are definitely surprised to hear that you thought the color was off. When we tested the icing against the paint swatch you provided, it looked to be an absolutely perfect match. I also apologize if there was some confusion on your end, we donât actually have extra charges for premium dates, we merely have a higher minimum order, which your cake easily qualified for. Based on your feedback, I have updated our contract verbiage to make certain that there is no absolutely no confusion regarding our minimum order policies in the future. Thanks again!


You obviously just don't want to look like you are calling the bride a liar so IMO, something similar to what I wrote kind of diffuses the situation and makes you seem gracious while showing that you value input from your brides.

As always YMMV. icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

Kory,

I know it's tough but I would either do nothing or just pitch a full on softball like this:

We are glad that you enjoyed the flavors and the look of the groom's cake. We are definitely surprised to hear that you thought the color was off. When we tested the icing against the paint swatch you provided, it looked to be an absolutely perfect match. I also apologize if there was some confusion on your end, we donât actually have extra charges for premium dates, we merely have a higher minimum order, which your cake easily qualified for. Based on your feedback, I have updated our contract verbiage to make certain that there is no absolutely no confusion regarding our minimum order policies in the future. Thanks again!


You obviously just don't want to look like you are calling the bride a liar so IMO, something similar to what I wrote kind of diffuses the situation and makes you seem gracious while showing that you value input from your brides.

As always YMMV. icon_biggrin.gif




This is perfect!

imakecakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 41

I agree, go with what pieceofcakeaz wrote.

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 41

I agree too....Go with what Piece of cake Az posted!!!It sounds professional and makes your point.

ccr03 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 41

I don't think its necessary to respond. No one is going to receive 100% positive reviews. And quite honestly, as a consumer, I would rather see the good and bad. If I see all good reviews on an open forum (such as weddingwire) than I am more inclined to think they are not all true. I'd just take it with a grain a salt and move one.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 41

I don't understnad how you say you don't have higher prices for premium dates. A cake on the 21st will cost 1000, but the same cake a week earlier is 300 cheaper. Isn't that having a higher price?

Mike

emrldsky Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

I don't understnad how you say you don't have higher prices for premium dates. A cake on the 21st will cost 1000, but the same cake a week earlier is 300 cheaper. Isn't that having a higher price?

Mike




Actually, the cake on both dates costs the same, but the cake a week later wouldn't qualify for booking that date, therefore one would have to add another tier or something to bump up the cost.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

I don't understnad how you say you don't have higher prices for premium dates. A cake on the 21st will cost 1000, but the same cake a week earlier is 300 cheaper. Isn't that having a higher price?

Mike



Actually, the cake on both dates costs the same, but the cake a week later wouldn't qualify for booking that date, therefore one would have to add another tier or something to bump up the cost.




So it would cost more.

Mike

emrldsky Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394


So it would cost more.

Mike




Only because it's MORE cake. Not because it's the same cake on a different weekend.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394


So it would cost more.

Mike



Only because it's MORE cake. Not because it's the same cake on a different weekend.




What if I didn't need more cake though?

emrldsky Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394


So it would cost more.

Mike



Only because it's MORE cake. Not because it's the same cake on a different weekend.



What if I didn't need more cake though?




Then you can't have the weekend.

Your first response was that the cake would cost more, and I responded to that. No, the same cake wouldn't cost more.

However, it will cost the customer MORE to book that weekend, by upgrading the cake in some way. So the cost to the customer, yes, is more, but the cost of the cake is not.

Ironbaker Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 41

Also, she said she didn't have extra charges for premium dates.

I like PofCAZ's response. thumbs_up.gif

MeMo07 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394


So it would cost more.

Mike



Only because it's MORE cake. Not because it's the same cake on a different weekend.



What if I didn't need more cake though?




Get ready to have some leftovers? Cut larger pieces? LOL. icon_smile.gif

I see where you are coming from, but wouuld you rather spend the high demand weeks making 4 one layer birthday cakes that you make 20 dollars on (I'm guessing here, I don't have a business, lol) that you could have done any weekend of the year, or doing some large wedding cakes that are only going to come around in the wedding "season" and make a much larger profit? (Plus get to work on some awesome cakes!)

I see where she's coming from- those are the high demand weeks, and it's more economical for her to take the larger orders, instead of the tiny ones.

babyqueen Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #16 of 41

I honestly think it's fine to save the date for the best cake offer; a premium cake that makes it worth doing just the one. I think that you should either say nothing, or email her directly. I think rebutting every bad comment online is worthless, but I feel your pain, and it is really hard to walk away. But sometimes you just look worse trying to set the record straight.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #17 of 41

I'm really sorry about your review, and I'm sure your work speaks for itself both in looks and taste for any prospective bride. I do agree with the bride & Mike on the 'premium date' pricing, that is a little off IMHO.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #18 of 41

Oh I totally see where she's coming from. I'm also not trying to be arguementative. Under those guidelines though. If I want x cake from x person on x date it will cost me this much. If I want the same exact cake the next week it will cost me more, or I don't get it.

Mike

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #19 of 41

Mike - you are the least argumentative person on here! I have a minimum charge on my cakes too (not $700-$1000 though!), but I don't change that according to the date, I've never come across that, so it just seems weird to me!

southerncake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Oh I totally see where she's coming from. I'm also not trying to be arguementative. Under those guidelines though. If I want x cake from x person on x date it will cost me this much. If I want the same exact cake the next week it will cost me more, or I don't get it.

Mike




But it isn't the exact same cake...it is a bigger cake for more $$. What they wish to do with the extra cake is their business.

It isn't the same thing, but it is similar to a hotel charging more (although here there is no extra charge, but simply a higher minimum) on holidays and "in-season" times. I'm sure the honeymoon destination prices were higher (again, no prices were actually raised in this situation icon_biggrin.gif ) on this same weekend. Some venues are also higher at certain times of the year when they are more in demand.

Stefy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #21 of 41

I don't think it's that bad of a review - you can't be perfect all of the time. I would let it go.

MosMom Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #22 of 41

I would let it go or I would respond absolutely positively. When you get into a bickering match on a public forum it makes you look bad. Just look at what happened with the supply website that shall remain nameless here.

aswartzw Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:39pm
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Oh I totally see where she's coming from. I'm also not trying to be arguementative. Under those guidelines though. If I want x cake from x person on x date it will cost me this much. If I want the same exact cake the next week it will cost me more, or I don't get it.

Mike




I don't get the confusion. She's not charging more per slice. It's still $4 a slice either date. She's simply saying she will not accept a cake order under that dollar amount. So if the cake you want comes to $500, you either reach her minimum or not. If the latter, you simply must go elsewhere.

I also think you should respond. When I see mediocre comments, I am less likely to have a positive feeling about a business. If the business owner responds, I at least feel the owner is concerned about his/her business because time was required to make a statement. I think Piece of Cake's response was excellent.

DoniB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #24 of 41

I have to disagree with a few folks who've said that you shouldn't rebut online. When you have advertising online, and are able to receive reviews, you DEFINITELY should be able to defend yourself when a customer giving a misleading review, like this one. I've had two businesses online for the last 7 years, and I can tell you that sometimes, no matter how nice or professional you are, no matter what you do to try to work with a person, they will not be happy, and they WILL be vocal about your inability to make them happy. It's customers like this that make it necessary to be able to defend yourself.

And I have to say, there ARE businesses out there that have a 100% positive rating for a reason. My rating on my E-bay store is 100%, and not because I'm perfect, but because I believe 110% in customer service, and have gone to great lengths on the few occasions necessary, to make sure a customer was happy. Again, in this setting, people WILL complain, and quite loudly, if they're not satisfied! Believe me! LOL So seeing that someone has a 100% rating, before discounting them, I'd recommend going through those comments and see what's being said. It could just be that they're really that good to work with, and folks want to let other folks know it. icon_smile.gif They will certainly let you know if that's not the case. icon_razz.gif

I think you should respond, but in a very professional manner. I like the response someone typed up, and would go with that. That this woman has the gall to give you a poor review, after everything you did to help her get the cake she said she wanted, is just ridiculous, IMHO. icon_razz.gif

KoryAK Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:01pm
post #25 of 41

Caking is my full time job and I have a shop. We black out completely full for June-August. In order to maximize my time (read: profits, yes this is a business) I raise my prices and may have minimum orders so I don't fill up valuable time with piddly cakes. Summer Saturdays have a minimum $700 order and premium dates (6/7/08, 8/8/08, and 6/21/08 [summer solstice-huge up here]) have a $1000 minimum. Those dates are still full. I can see where some customers would run into a problem, but I can't accommodate everyone. However, in the case of this particular customer, the cake she actually wanted on the date she actually needed was above the minimum and therefore not subject to any price problems in any way.

Haven't responded to the comment yet, and not quite sure what I will do on that.

twooten173 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #26 of 41

It's funny how we accept it when hotels raise their prices on prime dates - the weekends, holidays, major conventions, etc - and complain when other businesses raise their minimums. If you don't like the price at HoJo's go to Motel 8. Same principle applies here.

marthajo1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #27 of 41

Thanks for explaining the 6/21 thing! I couldn't figure out why it was a premium date..... icon_redface.gif DUH!

melodyscakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #28 of 41

what is that old saying? it takes a lot of positive comments to overcome ANY negative comments!
I'd almost think hard about responding, but I'd use the advise mentioned earlier on how to word it....the wording was perfect.

melody

snarkybaker Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #29 of 41

I would take a different approach. Rather than post a response, I would 1- email weddingwire, saying that since you pay for advertising it is not in your best interests to pay to have potential customers directed to a negative review, and the review is false, in essence accusing you of price gouging. Explain that you woul like to continue you advertising relationship with weddingwire, but it really doesn't make sense for you to pay to call attention to erroneous negative information about your business. I did the same thing with Citysearch when a customer accused us of overcharging her for a cake when we refused to meet the price she wished to negotiate.

They removed the review. They are in the business to make money.

KoryAK Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #30 of 41

I like that idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%