The Best How To Books Or Dvds?

Decorating By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm by Peridot

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 9

i'm looking for a good informative book or dvd on cake decorating. i went on amazon and looked them up... but there are so many i dont know which ones are worth the money icon_confused.gif . so i need to opinions about what the best books or dvds for cake decorating are. any info is appreciated!
thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 9

For gumpaste books, Alan Dunn, Nick Lodge, and Leslie Herbert are my favorites. There is also a DVD called "Bloomin' Garden" available. It's not too bad either. icon_smile.gif

I only have a few DVDs, but I love the sculpting DVD by TooMuchCake (Deanna O'Connor). She does a great job of showing how to sculpt small animals and uses tools that we all have. The DVD comes with a CD that has the cutting templates that you can print out on your computer. This makes things MUCH easier. You can find her DVD at www.lickthespoonproductions.com. To see if you think her work is good, then check out her gallery. You will be highly impressed.

HTH

Michele

TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 9

I have Michele Foster's cookbook, and use that more and more as time goes by. She has a recipe in there for candy clay that I used for a standing doll cake, and I won't go back to the Wilton recipe now that I've used hers. If you like making gumpaste flowers, check out her avatar in the previous post. She has a DVD out that tells how she made the flowers in that arrangement. I got the cookbook at a cake show, but you can order them from lickthespoonproductions.com or the cookbook is on Amazon.com.

Deanna

TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 9

Oh yeah, I forgot Nicholas Lodge's series of books: International School of Sug ar craft. There are three of them. I have the second two and refer to them a lot. They contain a lot of subjects and techniques.

Deanna

MommaLlama Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:02am
post #5 of 9

The best dvd series ever are the ones by sharon (sugarshack). They show everything real time, step by step. She is a great teacher, I improved by leaps and bound after whatching them. I like to look at pictures in books for ideas but I learn much better if I can see the process in action.

She DVD's on fondant, buttercream and stacking. Just look at her cakes hear on CC, or on here website and you will know your headed in the right direction.

Here's a link to the dvd's

http://sugaredproductions.com/

sugarshack Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 9

I have Precious Pets ( noted above) and I love it and Michelle Foster's GP flower DVD is next on my list. Her work is fatatsic!

alanahodgson Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 9

You guys crack me up! Its so nice that you all support (and plug) each other! I have Michele's DVD and she does a great job teaching how to make her flowers.

tracey1970 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 9

Sharon from Sugarshack - fantastic!

Peridot Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 9

Sharon from Sugarshack DVD's are excellent BUT SHE DOES NOT have any that show how to make flowers out of gumpaste, fondant or buttercream. Her DVD's are applying the fondant or buttercream to the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%