Serving Estimate

Decorating By vmertsock Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 3:54am by sandygirl

vmertsock Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a cake for my sister in law's birthday. I'm doing chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache. The design I came up with was to do the cake in the shape of a wine barrel-she's very into wine, with a picnic on top as she loves picnics too. The dimensions would be 6 inches at the top, tapering out to 8 inches at it's widest point, 8ish inches tall. It will just be the 4 of us, they live about 4-5 hours away and are driving up so it would be difficult to take a lot home with them. I'm a bit worried that this is going to be entirely too much cake and am trying to guess to the servings. I'm guessing at about 20. Does this sound like way too much cake? I'd love some ideas as how to make it smaller, other than make part of the cake styrofoam. Thanks!

1 reply
sandygirl Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #2 of 2

That will be a lot of cake for the 4 of you, but my philosophy is eat less real food and more cake.

Would using a couple of the extra large cupcakes work, just cut the crown off and put the cut sides together to get a barrel shape. This might not be enough cake though, unless you did 2, one for each couple. The main drawback would be that there isn't enough room on top for the picnic. I guess that you could have the picnic items spread around the barrels or have bunches of grapes around the barrels.

I hope you post a pic of the finished product so we can see how it turned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%