Why Is It... (A Little Long Vent)

Decorating By ashcake Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 3:25am by wgoat5

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 18

that customers do not know what they want and family tried to get everything free from you. Or is it just me?

My cousin asked me to do his sons birthday cake. I said ok. Well a lot of things have changed. I told my cousin I would still do it for him. For him to send the money with my mom (she come up Sunday). Well she told me he didn't give her the money. He says he is going to give it to my brother who is coming up on Thursday. I only really do cakes for family and friends. So I told him $25 for a 2 teired (10" and 6"). It will be carved to have track going down and around the cake. I'm thinking he is thinking I will just give him the cake. But I'm not going to. If I wanted to give it to him, I would have asked if I could do the cake. I told my DH last night, that I am going to start charging family (many other than my close family) what I would charge anyone for. Do you all have this same problem?

Next...Why do I always get the people that don't know what they want. I had a neighbor ask me to do 2 cakes for her daughters birthay. She wanted a "generic" birthday cake for one and a castle cake for another. She just told me for the "generic" cake to have girly colors. The other one she gave me no imput. How do you handle people like this? I'm not a mind reader. I don't know them extremely well. My DH use to work for her husbands dad. Any advice on what I could do for these 2 cakes?

Sorry so long! TIA!

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcake

.... The other one she gave me no imput. How do you handle people like this?

I've had a couple of brides who just would NOT make decisions. I finally told them, "Oh good! This means I get to do whatever I want and you don't get to complain about it!" icon_biggrin.gif

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 18

Geez..I know just what you mean!
I am doing a wedding cake for this weekend and the bride (who is a good friend but still....) gave me some real basics, but mostly has said, "whatever, I trust you". Can we say EEK!

I am fretting more over hers than I do over a more complicated order from a stranger! I know she is laid back and won't get mad, but I really want to make sure she is truly happy!

I would have to insist on more specific guidelines from that neighbor if I were you. No way could I go from just those two sentences about girly colors and a castle to being sure I was giving what was wanted. If you don't know someone well enough to know for sure that what you bring is going to be fine (few folks are THAT laid back! lol) AND they are paying...I would insist on more info.

Without it, they can say later you did not listen and messed up etc. even though THEY were in the wrong by not telling you. Better not to take a chance.

ashcake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #4 of 18

I'm going to look on here tonight for some different ideas. I'm going to go see her thursday and say these are the ideas i came up with...what do you think.
I don't even like it when family says do whatever. But they know that I try new things when they say that. They are my testers. But I don't want to try new things on this cake. This could be a possibility for me to get some more orders. Especially since she asked me to do 2 different ones!

Thanks for the help! Any more imput form anyone is appriciated!!!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:34am
post #5 of 18

The only ones that get a free cake from me are my children, my grandchildren and my dh's elderly aunts and uncle. The rest pay or don't get a cake, and they only get a discount if I decide they haven't been pita's.

I did make a cake for a wake (my dh's aunt asked and I refuse to charge them) and my sil said " I have to pay for my cakes." I told her not to worry, when she died I'd make her a free cake. icon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ann

I told her not to worry, when she died I'd make her a free cake. icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif This is classic!!!! LUV IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:54am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ann

The only ones that get a free cake from me are my children, my grandchildren and my dh's elderly aunts and uncle. The rest pay or don't get a cake, and they only get a discount if I decide they haven't been pita's.

I did make a cake for a wake (my dh's aunt asked and I refuse to charge them) and my sil said " I have to pay for my cakes." I told her not to worry, when she died I'd make her a free cake. icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gif

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:02am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

.... The other one she gave me no imput. How do you handle people like this?

I've had a couple of brides who just would NOT make decisions. I finally told them, "Oh good! This means I get to do whatever I want and you don't get to complain about it!" icon_biggrin.gif

I second that!! thumbs_up.gif

ashcake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:02am
post #9 of 18

jo_ann maybe i should start telling them all that. I loved it!!! I don't mind making them for family. I just don't want to deal with family that really don't appriciate it. none of the family has really seen me do a cake except my DH. He told me that I thought all you had to do was mix it, bake it, and throw icing on it. He said now I see it's a lot more than that. I need to have all m family over and decorate a cake while they are there. That way they can see what really goes into it. It's a good thought...but I can't stand to be around most of my family.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #10 of 18

Ashley.. for the one that she doesn't know what to do... she gave you free rein.. make her a boobie cake LOL ... that could be definition of girlie LOL

ashcake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #11 of 18

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Christi you are too funny. I almost woke up my son I was laughing so loud. That would be a good idea. However I forgot to mention that this cake is for a girl that is turning 2. Plus she is a preacher's wife, that wouldn't be appropriate. But thanks for giving me a great laugh!

I'm thinking about that one doing something with flowers and maybe ladybugs/butterflies.

indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #12 of 18
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Christi you are too funny. I almost woke up my son I was laughing so loud. That would be a good idea. However I forgot to mention that this cake is for a girl that is turning 2. Plus she is a preacher's wife, that wouldn't be appropriate.

But it sure would teach her to be a little more specific, huh? icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #13 of 18

LOL I should of put just joking LOL

The free reign cakes are fun.. as long as they aren't for men.. UGHHHH I hate those... cause you can't very well make bows and flowers for men now can ya?

Have fun with it my friend icon_smile.gif

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #14 of 18

Depends on the man ;P

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:36am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

Depends on the man ;P

SOOOO TRUE icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:00am
post #16 of 18

This reminds me of a cake I ordered from my FAVORITE baker in 1973. I was ordering a cake for a guy (YUCK!) and told the decorator that he was "into" birds. Well, I neglected to say he was a bird WATCHER!

Went to pick up the cake and he has a BEAUTIFUL cake done with a sugarpaste hunter SHOOTING a duck! LOL I had a great laugh out of that and by the way....so did the birthday "boy"! LOL

Yeah, guys are just difficult!

Beth in KY

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #17 of 18

As my family was over after my grandmother's funeral this past weekend, I was talking about the cookie class that I was teaching to kid's on Tuesday and that my afternoon class only had 4 students.

My cousins girls begged their mom to go to it. As mom was making plans for them to go, I told them that the class costs $35.00. I get "You are going to charge my kids? We're family!" Told them, "Yep, the store hosts the cooking class and then pays me."

THen she told her girls that they could come back up (they live in South Louisiana) and they can spend the night with me and I could do a cooking class in my home icon_eek.gif . I asked her when did she start making my house payment? (My DH and I have no children) When AND IF I did this I would let her know....My cousin is very obnoxious and acts as if she is better than anyone. Always has to work her salary and anything money into a coversation.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #18 of 18

You know what's worse then someone talking about their salaries and how much they make all the time?

A SIL that talks about having NO money all the time then you see her with things YOU can't afford icon_sad.gif That really gets my pickle LOL

And to be all honest about things... SHE CANT afford the things she gets.. oops sorry to go off topic icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%