Anyone Use Lemon Pie Filling For Cake?

Decorating By Babygirlx Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm by msulli10

Babygirlx Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 6

Is the lemon filling too soupy for a cake pilling? I heard if you strain the strawberry or blueberry pie filling, it will work. Not too much straining nneeded for the lemon. I dont want to have it leak out before cutting. I will make a dam but I wonder if it will hold it.

5 replies
kerri729 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 6

I would say it should be fine- I use the lemon sleeve filling, and it is the same consistency as pie filling. thumbs_up.gif

cuteums Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 6

I have used lemon meringue filling (my-t-fine brand) I refigerated it first and let it set in a pan with wax paper on the bottom - the same size as the cake. (you may want to go smaller so you can make a dam) When it set I flipped it over onto the cake and put the top cake on. It came great and held up. This was before I started cake decorating and it turned out just fine. It has to stay refigerated though. Regular canned lemon pie filling should be Ok. I would assume it would hold up like pudding would.

southerncake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteums

I have used lemon meringue filling (my-t-fine brand) I refigerated it first and let it set in a pan with wax paper on the bottom - the same size as the cake. (you may want to go smaller so you can make a dam) When it set I flipped it over onto the cake and put the top cake on. It came great and held up. This was before I started cake decorating and it turned out just fine. It has to stay refigerated though. Regular canned lemon pie filling should be Ok. I would assume it would hold up like pudding would.

That's a neat idea!

thedessertdiva Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 6

I buy canned lemon pie filling and mix it with a stablized whipped cream (whipped so dense its almost like a butter), chill it and them place it inside a thick icing dam on the cake. It works great!

msulli10 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 6

I use lemon curd - you can buy it in the supermarket . Check the isle where they sell international foods. Sometimes I blend it with buttercream.
I've gotten rave reviews. It's also thick so it doesn't seep out between the layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%