Flowers And Seashells??

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm by wgoat5

beachcakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 24

I have a request for an engagement cake that they want to look like this one I did

but for 50 people. OK i can cut it down a bit. But then they (the groom's sister & mother) tell me they want me to include flowers in the bride's colors: yellow and periwinkle. But they don't know what shade of yellow or periwinkle (which can either be a purple or a blue!).

I can't even envision flowers and seashells... has anyone done this before?

23 replies
KHalstead Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 24

as long as you keep the shells neutral, white,ivory,etc. it will probably still be gorgeous!

beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 24

Thanks! Still having a problem envisioning it! icon_smile.gif

mommyle Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 24

Just say "NO" Flowers don't "go" with seashells, and if they have a problem with that, then they can make the cake themselves. My GF says "I don't DO tacky" right to her customers.

pinklesley1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 24

i have don it and it doesnt look TACKY AT ALL... it can be tasteful... like KHalstead said if you keep one of them neutral it will come out nice... i will attach a pic of something that i did

KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 24

I've seen cakes with seashells and tropical flowers and they're gorgeous!! You find both in Hawaii and I've never thought hawaii looked ugly! Course I've never had the pleasure of actually going there but....

pinklesley1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 24

i am so so so sorry but i dont think this is TACKY AT ALL....

pinklesley1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 24

KHalstead... i agree...
shels and flowers are not tacky... mommyl... if you dont like hawaii... then maybe you will think that they are taky and if your GF is rude to customers... i would be surprised that people are willing to deal with her... thats not nice at all to tell people what is tacky and waht isnt... there is an old cuban sayng ... para los gustos se hicieron los colores... to translate... for different colors were made for different tastes...

so what is tacky to you is beautiful and gorgeous to another...

its all relative and a matter of personal opinion...

gottabakenow Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #9 of 24

pinklesley, that's a beautiful cake. if it's done tastefully, i'm sure it would be gorgeous. like, no periwinkle shells with yellow and ivory flowers puleeze! icon_wink.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #10 of 24

i am sure that you can do a periwinkel cake with yellow flowers and ivory or even white shells.. that is how i is tasetfully dont....
just keep one neutral... if you want to do the cake is ivory then do the shells in periwinkel and/or yellow and ivory flowers... ir even a yellow cake with periwinkel flowers and ivory shells...
something like that,,, keep one of the elements neutral...

pinklesley1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 24

oh... and thank you cakedecoratings

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #12 of 24

what about hibiscus flowers ??? come on Beachcakes you can make anything pretty icon_wink.gif

jen1977 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:53am
post #13 of 24

You said the groom's mother and sister want to include flowers.....does the BRIDE want to include flowers??? I think tropical flowers would look fine, if like everyone else said, the shells were neutral.

beachcakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 24

Pinklesley - that cake is gorgeous!! Are those orchids? Very elegant! I agree - tropical flowers are the way to go! I was trying to picture roses!

Jen - i don't think the bride has a choice - I think this is a surprise engagement party.

Christi - you are sweet - ya know, I always wondered if you were a goat farmer! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:50pm
post #15 of 24

LOL that is why I put that on there LOL

I told my DH .. Ohhh GAWD I hope nobody thinks I'm a goat farmer LOL...

Bad thing is ... his name is Billy LMAO

michellesArt Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #16 of 24

jsut go through the beach cake gallery and you'll see that you could add tropical flowers and it would be stunning-i've seen the flowers done mostly white with a brushing of colour on the inside (tips stay white) that's where you could add the periwinkle and yellow without it becoming too much-they can look very elegant and i think it's not up to me to say what's tacky or not-i'm the decorator not the client (they pay me to make what they want) of course i'm intitled to not agree icon_smile.gif

Babarooskie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 24

Excuse me, but I don't think shells and flowers are tacky! As a matter of fact, that's how I'm doing my wedding cake for February!!

Still searching for a Miami cake decorator though icon_sad.gif

beachcakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #18 of 24

Christi - that is too funny!! icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #19 of 24

yes those are orchids...
i have done them with orchids all the time.. bc usually people see the model and go with it... but as you can see the cake is very colorful and so are the shells, but they compliment, and then the orchids are the neutral as well as the ribbon...

Thank you for the compliment...

LeanneW Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #20 of 24

I love yellow and periwinkle color combo. I would go with the earlier suggestion of having the cake be a light periwinkle, ivory shells, and yellow tropical flowers.

beachcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks for all your help! Just wanted to let you know I posted it. Had alot of trouble with it, but overall it came out ok.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #22 of 24

You did one heck of a job!!!!! I bet they loved it!!! Now I am going to go save it LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Awesome work my friend!!!

beachcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #23 of 24

thanks Christi! icon_smile.gif

They loved it, and the flowers survived the humidity. But my friend told me the bottom tier "fell in" at the party (she got it the day before, so it was out of my hands for 24 hrs). The caterers had to cut it immediately, but they asked her for my info, so that made me feel better.

Wonder if it had to do with the fact that she sent her 17 yr old son to pick it up?? I did not know she was sending him. I drove it 12 miles, and it was fine! He only had to drive it 5...

wgoat5 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #24 of 24

Wellll... there ya go... 17 year old boy... destroys another one ;? icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%