Help Quick!

Decorating By ccwkg Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm by marthajo1

ccwkg Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 14

I have a wedding cake for this weekend. The bride was animate that we were serving 250 people. I told her that was fine and we could scale down if needed when the responses came back. Well we went to 150 last week. Now we are changing again because we have found a cake stand we like. I have never seen this stand but the lady she is renting it from is telling her it will serve 150 people with a 10-8-6-4 square cakes. My calculations are not coming to that. Am I crazy or is this just wrong!?
Thanks for any help!

Crystal

13 replies
sweettoothcakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 14

well according to the wilton guide which is what I usually base my slices on that cake will only feed 100 people that is saving the 4" (??) for the aniversary cake, and even if they cut the 4" cake that will only give them a few more slices! So I would say no that would definitly not be enough to feed 150

mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 14

That's only going to serve 100 by my calculations too! thumbs_up.gificon_confused.gif

ccwkg Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 14

That's what I was thinking. Our original design was a 14-12-10-6. The cakes were on separate different height pedestals so they didn't have to be what I call stackable sizes. From what I added up it will serve 162. Does this seem right? It seems a little crazy to say but this woman has me second guessing all kinds of things. I'm trying to bring my confidence back up. icon_redface.gif

mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 14

According to Wilton 14 square is 98, 12 is 72, 10 is 50, and 6 is 18. Not including the 6 inch tier, that's 220. But you might be using another chart. I personally think 2 X 2 is too much cake for me. But that's JMO icon_lol.gif

aa053103 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 14

If it doesn't add up, why not just do an extra sheet cake? I remember doing that for my wedding. Actually, i just remember that's what I wanted but I don't even remember eating the cake or much of anything. icon_smile.gif

doc_farms Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 14

If you go by Earlene's Cakes (I like her serving chart, which is just slightly more generous than Wilton) then you get:
150 servings (165w/top tier) 17 - 12 - 7
150 servings (160w/top tier) 15 - 12 - 9 - 6
160 servings (170w/top tier) 18 - 12 - 6
160 servings (170w/top tier) 16 - 12 - 9 - 6

Hope this helps!

Maria_Campos Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 14

I agree, give her the stand, and add a sheet cake to make up the difference, don't let this Brides mess you up with what you already know.
Stay confident thumbs_up.gif

ccwkg Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 14

I use to have problems with the cake serving charts so I kinda made one of my own. I took the three charts that people on here said they used the most added the three serving sizes together then divided by 3 and that is my serving total. (I hope that made sense) So a 14 square would serve 81 (98,84,63 are what the other charts would say) I know it is crazy but so far it has worked and it cuts down on my confusion. Now the bride is changing the sizes on the cake again. I have told her what will work and what won't so she needs to make up her mind so I can do things in my day that I really need to do. Sorry, starting to get angry, venting a little.

Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 14

Hey CCWKG,
Thats what I did with a serving chart for myself too! I took some basic math (using geometry on the squares) and also taking an average of the most popular charts to find my best fit. I quote a range to the brides so they know if they cut big, then they get less but I charge based on the average that I got. Sorta like you did. It may not be what others do but I think it's the fairest and easiest for me to do. I don't have a "brides" price vs. a "b-day" price so that's why I did the average. Stay confident, you know what your doing, explain to the bride that you just want her to be happy and provide all her guests with cake! Show her your the expert on the cake, not the rental person!
Good luck!
BTW, glad to see I wasn't the only one stressing and changing the serving charts to fit me, I like your averages idea! LOL

ccwkg Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 14

How cool crazyladi! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. thumbs_up.gif I would love to see what you have come up with so we can compare notes.

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me with my dilemma!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 14

CCWKG,
I've yet to get it on the computer, busy week this week but when I do I will email it to ya. Hopefully I will find some time this week.

ccwkg Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 14

That sounds great Crazyladi, I'm in no hurry so take your time. Thanks a bunch.

marthajo1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 14

Yeah- if you use slightly bigger slices than Wilton you will definitely NOT get your count with those cakes! I think the rental gal is trying to make a "sale" Let your bride know that if you do those cakes she will not have 150 servings. Tell her she will still need another 12" sq for the "kitchen" and I would tell her how much the last minute changes are going to cost her too! icon_smile.gif

(BTW- 14, 12, 10, 6 is 238 by Wilton! That is quite a difference!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%