Wilton "deep' Cake Pans...

Decorating By RazzyRobyn Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm by missmeg

RazzyRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RazzyRobyn Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there.

I am new and I have a question, I am hoping one of you nice people can help me.

I just purchased a 4 piece set of round 3 inch "deep" cake pans.

Does anyone know the difference (or what is the significance) of baking a cake in a 2 inch or 3 inch deep cake pan?

Thank you sooo much.

Respectfully,
RazzyRobyn

4 replies
weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

They take longer to bake. I've used the 8x3". I was afraid it would cause the cake to be drier but it didn't. I always make sure I wrap my cakes when they are done in wax paper and plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for at least 3 hours.(better if overnight) They get really moist that way.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 5

I always bake in 3" deep pans. I love it. Nothing like baking one pan for a cake, instead of two.

I torte and fill it twice, and I always collar and line my pans with parchment.

Yes, they do take longer, and they sometimes need the temperature turned down in the oven, but heck, less baking time for me. I would rather spend 5 extra minutes on an extra dam and filling than throw another pan in the oven, especially with the larger sizes.

On the other hand, I do not use Wilton pans, because they are a thinner gauge metal than Magic Line of Fat Daddio, and the heat will not distribute as well as it will with the other two brands.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #4 of 5

Be sure to use a heating core or a flower nail to make sure it gets done in the middle.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomommy

Be sure to use a heating core or a flower nail to make sure it gets done in the middle.

This completely. I only have the 8"x3", but I always use a flower nail as a heating core when I use it. I just had too many problems of the middle of the cake being underdone.

I also use the bake-even strips, which works wonders. for my 8"x3" round, it typically takes 60-75 minutes to bake at 350*.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%