I Have To Make A Cake For Sephora Store For 300 Pl. Help

Decorating By wendy1273 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 5:04am by AlamoSweets

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 25

A visual manager for the Sephora store contacted me to make there 10th year anniversary cake for 300 people, I have never done a cake that big and I would like some help on figuring out what sizes to use and how much should I charge for something so big.

Please Let me know what you guys think.

I have a picture of what they want but I don't know how to attach it here because is a word doc. If anyone knows how to please let me know.

It is a 5 tier black and white cake with red lipsticks and black horizontal strips all the way around each tier.

Thank you

Wendy

24 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 25

Could you save the picture separately and then attach it to the message?

Do you have a usual per serving price you charge? Do you usually charge a separate delivery/set up fee or do you include that as part of your per serving price? I would think of it as a wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 25

I don't have a price set up for serving and they said that they may come to pick it up but I don't know if that is a good idea with such a big cake, I usually have a extra charge per delivery.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 25

If they come to pick up a 5-tiered cake, MAKE SURE to take a picture of it before it leaves your place and have the people taking it there sign a waiver.

I would insist on delivering myself and assembling onsite (unless you are comfortable with delivering it already assembled and have at least 2 people who can lift that heavy of a cake).

I'd check www.earlenescakes.com for sizing

wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 25

Melvin,
Thats a great advised, thank you and I will try to convince them to let me deliver it.
Looking a the serving chart if I use a 16", 14", 12", 10" and a 8" it would only feed 245 people and I don't like how much space it would live between tiers for the lipsticks, I would like to use a 16, 12, 8, 6 and 4 and maybe make something on the side for serving.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 25

Couldn't you start with an 18 inch base and the 14,10 and 6? I know 18 inch pans are a little pricey. But might be an option...

wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 25

I would love to but an 18" won't fit in my oven icon_cry.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 25

You can get 18" half round pans that should fit in your oven...then you just put them side by side to make a full 18" round layer. icon_smile.gif

wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 25

Wow that sound like a great idea. where can I find those? I have never seen them.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 25

Wendy I just want to say ... What a awesome opportunity.. AND it sounds like it could REALLY I mean REALLY put you on the map LOL.. You are gonna be sooo busy after this cake you won't know what to do!!! I soooo envy you!!!

I can't wait till you post the cake!!!

((((hugs)))))

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 25

wendy, i know you can get the half pans on lots of different sites..try countrykitchensweetart.com, i've personally ordered from them before, and they had super fast shipping and were great to deal with. hth.

wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 25

wgoat5

Thank you so much.
I'm a little nerves because I have never done something so big but I purchased Sugarshack DVD a while ago and I'm going to use her technic because the cake is so much stable with 1/2" foam on the bottom of each tier.
My little sister is a promoter and she has got so many costumers for my cakes that I had to tell her to slow down because I'm working alone, I'm thinking to get some help because there are some weeks that I don't have time for anything else. Is not 100% secure until they pay the down payment,
Cross your fingers!!

But I'm excited about this one.

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 25

Congrats I'm sure you will do a wonderful job .For that 18 in half pan you may want to look at michaels or hobby lobby I know they carry them at the ones around here.

mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 25

Wendy,

I too LOVE and use sugarshacks method. But with something this big and important, I'd probably order the SPS just to be safe. Stacking on dowels or straws always makes me nervous. I am probably going to get the SPS just for my nerves sake.

wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 25

I will look in to that mindy, I have never used it before, Is there anyone in here that have used and can tell me were to get it?

Thank you

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 25

Wendy,
I did a cake that was 5 tiers last summer for 400 people- I did the 16-14-12-10-8, then 10" satellite cakes to make up for the rest. It was a monster of a cake, a ton of work, but in the end, I am so glad I did it. I am not sure if you want to let them pick it up, unless you absolutely have SPS- I don't have it- I use the Wilton hidden pillars, but those can still be a little unstable trasporting something that big- I know Leahs praises SPS and has posted much useful information on it- you could pm her and ask her. As far as the servings go, Earlenes are more generous servings than the Wilton servings, and I usually use Earlenes, so according to Earlene the 5 tiers mentioned would serve 245, but if you use Wiltons, it serves 296- totally what you are comfortable serving. Just make sure you inform them how to cut according to the serving charts. As far as price goes, everyone's are is different- I do cakes as more of a hobby or artistic release rather than making a living, so I don't charge nearly what most people here do. You might check with people on here that are from your state or area and get a feel for what they charge- anyways, good luck with it, and post pics when you do the cake- sounds like a great opportunity for you!
icon_smile.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #17 of 25

Wendy, Congrats on this order. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I just looked at your cakes and you are so talented.

I can't wait to see the picture of this cake.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

wendy1273 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 25

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all of your help and support, I love this community.
I live in New Jersey but most of my costumers are from New York and they come to me because I don't charge as much as they do, their prices in some places are crazy, is difficult for me because the prices are so different everywhere.

Thanks again and I will definitely look in to the SPS system.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm
post #19 of 25

When is the cake due? I'm looking forward for the picture of the cake.Hope you can find the 18" half pan , 16" is the largest I've heard of.
Good luck and congrats.

mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #20 of 25

Leahs is the expert here on SPS you can post or pm her and she will send you all the info you need! She's pretty fast with her info too! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #21 of 25

I just love doing 5 and 6 tier cakes, so I am very envious of you!

Assemble it on site, if you can't get the SPS system by then.

Wilton wedding chart (which is what I go by): 16/14/12/10/8 = 296 servings ... if you add the 6", then it's 308. If you swap out the 16 with the 18, you'll have more than plenty. You could also have a couple of satellite cakes, as suggested above.

Any idea how accurate they are on the guest-guestimate? Most people over-estimate.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #22 of 25

I am also needing to bake an 18" cake. It will fit in my oven but I'm not sure how much batter I need for a full 18" round. Anyone know where I can get that info?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #23 of 25

What a fantastic opportunity! The best of luck to you, can't wait to see the cake.

Here's a site that sells the SPS supplies:

http://www.bakingshop.com/weddingcakes/cakestand.htm

73cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
73cupcake Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:48am
post #24 of 25

You have nothing to worry about and will do a fabulous job. Your cakes are WOW icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif .

Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #25 of 25

Congratulations and I will keep my fingers crossed. Have you thought about making a large cake but not a huge cake to feed the entire 300? I don't know what the occasion is but if so let the executives/employees have the beautiful cake and make sheet cakes decorated similarly in the back, perhaps already sliced and ready to be brought out as the large cake is being cut that would not only help you in decorating it but it would also give you some room to regotiate the price if they are not willing to pay what it would cost to make such a huge cake. Please remember, unless you are there doing the cutting chances are you are not going to get the number of slices you are planning on. That happens to me all of the time so I have to include more than what they were expecting to make sure there is enough cake. Good luck and share your picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%