Too Funny To Keep To Myself (Long)

Decorating By Danielle111 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 1:16am by SueW

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 90

Ok, so I'll try to make a long story short... My ex-finace's new girlfriend found me through her delivery job (ended up delivering something to my mom's office, and my mom gave her my e-mail address and website. icon_mad.gif (Why, I'm still not sure...) Ever since then, she's been bugging me thru e-mail (I don't even know her!), and it hasn't even been about cakes - just all of this tapedshut.gif about how she got to know me through my website and admires everything about me, and if my ex spent over 6 years with me, then he must be a good guy, and I make her love him even more. CREEPY!!!!

So, it gets better... ...I just got an e-mail from her asking me to make his birthday cake. icon_confused.gif I really don't even have the words to describe how weird this is. She talked about how her family is from Germany, and how they love Germany so much, her brother still lives there, she's visited several times, and she wants a traditional German flavor for this cake to remind them of their trip. Now, my dad is literally "off the boat" German, came over here @ 21, and I visit my relatives every couple years or so, so I'm familiar with German food and baking. (BTW - I'm not sure if I even want to make this cake, as my ex and I haven't spoken in 5 years...). I e-mail her back just asking about the flavor palette she wants, and comes back with German chocolate cake. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif Blasphemy! German choc. cake isn't even German - they guy's last name who invented it just happened to be "German"!!!! But wait, it gets even better... ...she wants German chocolate cake, but she wants yellow cake instead of chocolate. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

So, do I explain to her that German chocolate cake isn't even German, let alone replacing the signature chocolate cake with yellow wouldn't even come close to what she originally wanted, or do I just make what she wants? I also don't want to ignore my German heritage and turn out a "German" dessert that isn't even close to being German. Do I even make the cake at all? (Oh - one more thing, and the most important reason I'm even considering doing this cake... she said price is no object, and she wants a 3-D replica of a german house or village, so I stand to make a pretty penny off of this. Fitting, seeing as how her current boyfriend stripped me of every penny I had while I was with him..)

Any thoughts, guys? Even if you guys don't have any suggestions, I thought this whole story was just too Jerry Springer to not share! icon_lol.gif

Happy Caking![/i]

89 replies
Parable Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 90

Walk away ..... better yet, RUN!!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif

TheCakerator Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 90

I agree .. that could open up a whole new can of worms ... better to walk away and move completely on from this guy who doesn't sound like a real gem anyways!

cheeseball Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 90

If you feel like you can separate the crazy from the cake... icon_lol.gif I know you'll be a total professional, but wouldn't most folks avoid like the plague anything their ex made? icon_twisted.gif

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 90

I think it would be tooooo uncomfortable for you my friend.. I'd turn her down .

Then I'd ask why she was able to get my email!!!! LOL

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 90

Oh - don't get me wrong... ...I'm not doing this in any way, shape or form for him, or to get in touch with him, or for any reason other than I have hit the jackpot money-maker cake. The only thing is, it's for him. I would rather just move on, but even if I do make this cake, I wouldn't have to him. Thank God!!!!

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 90

oops. icon_redface.gif I meant to say, I would have to see him. icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 90

No way would I make the cake for an ex - and she sounds like a nut case to boot. This has "run away" written all over it. Funny story though! ha ha ha ha

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 90

Wow. Oops again. scratch that last remark - I would NOT have to see him. I think if I'm already this worked up over it, I shouldn't make the cake. Who knows, I may accidentally drop some clorox in it or something. icon_twisted.gif

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 90

Danielle I really wouldn't even consider it... only because of you... right now it might not bother you hun but later it might!!!

But if we are taking a couple hundred dollars profit...well ummmmm lol

mkolmar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 90

As much as I would want to run and not deal with this loon a good part of me would want to make the cake and charge like no one's business icon_twisted.gif (that's the evil side of me speaking I guess) Especially if he stripped your bank account clean. However, I seriously would just say no and not do it. It sounds like a big ol' hassle in the making.

By the way my DH's dad is from Germany and mom from Poland. I thought I would pee my pants when she asked for a german yellow cake icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif Too funny!

moxey2000 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 90

This is how I would handle it....I would think of her as a customer and I would do for her exactly what I would do for any customer. I would let her know, tactfully, that GC cake is not authentic German, but that a lot of people make that mistake. I would help her figure out what she wants and then I would make the cake...and charge her what I would charge anyone else. She's a customer, I would treat her like one.

This is an opportunity for you to shine as a professional. Take the emotional part out of it and get the job done. IMHO, of course.

shadowgypsie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 90

If it was me and I had the option to say yes or no, I might do it with a little added bonus, a BOX OF EXLAX x2. Ha HA HA

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 90

I would also get cash up front before I bought any supplies or started making anything.

leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 90

Her check will bounce.
It's bad Karma.
She's a loon.
Professionals know when to say "no."

Run. Run like the wind.

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #16 of 90

all I can say is WTF?????????????? I wouldn't contact DH's ex in a million billion years, not even if she was the best cake decorator on earth and she was giving it to me for free!!! I have no advice, other than to go with your gut.
One other thing, if you decline, what reason will you give her?

Michelle104 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 90

If you haven't seen him in 5 it still raw? If so then definitely walk away. If not then show her what an amazing person/cake decorator that you are and collect her $$ with a big professional smile on your face!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Of course you also need to consider possible future cakes????!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

tenleysmommy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #18 of 90

I think I would run!To me its kinda wierd that the ex's new girl would be coming to you anyway.But if the money will be worth the creepiness and hassle I would do it!Just in case there is some other wierd reason she wants you to make this cake I would make the best looking cake ever!!! icon_twisted.gif And charge out the YingYang of course icon_lol.gif

Donnagardner Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #19 of 90

Run away fast!!!

AJsGirl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:21pm
post #20 of 90

I would do it. Just treat her like any other customer and get your money.

But, I would be prone to putting exlax or something in it! But that's just me! icon_evil.gificon_surprised.gificon_wink.gif

Michelle104 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:22pm
post #21 of 90

Have you seen "Something to Talk About" with Julia Roberts and Dennis Quaid??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Maybe you could modify "that" recipe!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

darandon Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:22pm
post #22 of 90

All I can say is when is the taping for the Springer Show. I so want to watch that episode. I'm picturing your beautiful yellow german chocolate cake in some sort of mud wrestling situation.

FromScratch Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #23 of 90

I'd do it.. but I have a great relationship with my ex-husband so it's different. If you think it'll be a good job to have and you can keep it professional why not do it? Make a great cake and get paid and that's the end. Make sure you get your payment upfront and with plenty of time for the checks to clear and all is well. I'd treat her like any customer you have.

Iheartcake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #24 of 90

Why is she ordering him a german cake if she's the one in love with Germany??

Like others have said, definately get payment up front before you start anything. And if you work out of your home.. I'd maybe meet somewheres else since she seems a bit odd.

Go with your gut.. if you see her being the client from hell, politely decline and move on.

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #25 of 90

See, my gut reaction was to do this cake, get paid, and move on. I don't have any angry feelings towards him (I don't have any feelings for him at all), plus it's a great cake to make a lot of money on, plus a great cake for my portfolio. I think I may take it from a professional standpoint, because, at least while I'm making it, I'll be able to view it as just a cake. Once it's done, I may feel otherwise, though...

tnt320to Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:45pm
post #26 of 90

I'd worry that if you did it and turned out wonderfully, she might be calling you for their wedding cake someday. That might seem ok now, but I just think that would be way too weird even if it was 5 years ago!

Just my two cents.

Suzycakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #27 of 90

And then once you create this wonderful masterpiece (as I know it will be!) and the taste is to perfection . . . and her check did not bounce . . .

.... are you willing to keep doing business with your ex's new girlfriend and her weirded out ideas!?! It's not just about the here and now -- it is also a whole possible future with her as a client!

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #28 of 90

Its my policy to have full payment two weeks prior to the event, so I'll be fine there, plus I've already told her that I insist on delivering this cake due to it's delicate nature ( icon_wink.gif ).

I think I'll do it, but for no less than $10 per serving. That sound about right?

leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #29 of 90

I have to tell you that a check two weeks prior is not enough time. I've had one bounce in that amount of time. Get payment a minimum of 3 weeks ahead if its by check.

Danielle111 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #30 of 90

Suzycakes - I posted before I saw your message... ...I think it will be fine, plus I know him - he's going to be angry with her for ordering from me, probably enough to realize she's a wingnut and leave her. Not my problem!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%