Painting Color On Fondant??

Decorating By sweettoothcakes Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 8:28am by Texas_Rose

sweettoothcakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 5

What do you use to paint color onto your fondant. I have used straight gel color but it doesn't seem to ever dry and I usually end up puting my finger in it and messing it up trying to get the figures onto the cake. Can you help??

Also how do you get that shiny gold an silver. I need to make a gold bow. How would I go about making it gold??

Thanks for your time icon_smile.gif

Melissa

4 replies
Shola Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,
Thin the gel colour with a clear alcohol like vodka and use that to paint, the alcohol evaporates and the colour dries quickly leaving little or no stickiness icon_smile.gif
For a gold colour use a gold lusterdust, again mixed with vodka for a bolder gold but you can brush it on dry for a less intense effect.
HTH's icon_smile.gif

sweettoothcakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

I have some of the Wilton Gold dust but and I mixed it with vodka and it just clumped up and didn't go on good. What am I doing wrong?? or is it just that the wilton brand is not great??

miny Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:48am
post #4 of 5

The wilton stuff doesn't work, I tried it once too and it just went to the trash!, icon_mad.gif I've heard you need a different kind of luster dust but I don't know the brand or where to get it, maybe someone can help us, I also need to know!!! icon_razz.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 8:28am
post #5 of 5

Wilton works fine for me. To get a gold color with it, you need to start with yellow or tan fondant.

The white wilton dust works especially well for me...if you look in my photos the bows on a couple of my cakes were painted with it.

When you mix it with vodka, it should be a runny liquid, not a thick paste. I usually mix a dropperfull of vodka with a tiny sprinkle of dust...practice will help you figure out exactly how much you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%