Was Anyone Else Annoyed By That Wobbling Wedding Cake In Ca?

Decorating By Mamas Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm by Mamas

Mamas Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 21

I am starting to feel like a real cake decorator. I absolutely cringe everytime I see the ceremonial cutting of the wedding cake by the same sex couple married in CA. I can't even hear what the reporter is saying I keep thinking why didn't they properly secure that cake . . .

Yes, I know here are more serious issues at hand but . . . . . . Well, . . . why didn't they properly secure that cake! lol

20 replies
costumeczar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:45am
post #2 of 21

Too funny...I didn't see it but I feel your pain.

NanaFixIt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:51am
post #3 of 21

Isn't if funny that 'cake' is all we see anymore? No matter what the event is, it always fades into the background - way behind the cake!! Too funny!

Yup, we must be 'real' cake decorators now!

Mamas Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaFixIt

Isn't if funny that 'cake' is all we see anymore? No matter what the event is, it always fades into the background - way behind the cake!! Too funny!

Yup, we must be 'real' cake decorators now!

How true!

I felt like an absolute lunatic today watching the news but I knew you guys would understand! lol

fondantfrenzy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:57am
post #5 of 21

I am in california and didnt hear about it..what happened, did it make the news?

melodyscakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:58am
post #6 of 21

wish we could see that.

was it on the news or something?
can we google it?:

melody

Mamas Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #7 of 21

Yeah, here in New York most of the major news channels lead with the story and I just thought it would be all over the country. I certainly would have expected it air in CA.

I think it was a three tiered cake and as the couple was making the ceremonial cut of the 2nd tier of the wedding cake the top tier completely lifted. It fell back down and they took a very uneven sliver of cake from the 2nd tier and placed it on a plate.

It was a nice enough cake and it really wasn't anything dramatic I am just starting to notice a transformation and wondered if anyone else was thusly aflicted.

Mamas Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:14am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantfrenzy

I am in california and didnt hear about it..what happened, did it make the news?

CA legalized same sex marriage and there was video footage of a lesbian couple's wedding ceremony. Not sure if you can google it . . . I will look.

fondantfrenzy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:19am
post #9 of 21

Yah I a aware of the same sex marraige being legalized, but suprized i didnt hear about that cake incident....let me know if you find it. Thanks!!!

Prudence Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #10 of 21

HA!! You guys are cracking me up! LOL!! We always DO nitice that cake, don't we??

raquel1 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:41am
post #11 of 21

I'm about to go searching for the video, if I find anything I will post icon_cool.gif

gateaux Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:57am
post #12 of 21

Still looking for the other cake, but found this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/27/earlyshow/main3971712.shtml

Evolving wedding cakes.

Good Luck.

milissasmom Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #13 of 21

HA!!!!!! So funny! I thought it was just ME! Everytime I saw it run on the news, I was thinking to myself (the thing is gonna fall)!! Although I knew it wasn't because I had just watched it a half hour ago! lol...I couldn't even tell you what the couple looked like but the cake was actually nice...loved the rose petals...

gateaux Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #14 of 21

Ok, you guys my tv is out can someone share what news chanel you watched it on so we can check out their web site and see if they have the video?

thanks

lardbutt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:15am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

Still looking for the other cake, but found this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/27/earlyshow/main3971712.shtml

Evolving wedding cakes.

Good Luck.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Did you hear what she said? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

She said to SAVE MONEY, HAVE SOME OF THE LAYERS MADE OF STYROFOAM AND HAVE SHEET CAKES IN THE BACK!

I can't believe she thinks that would be cheaper, esp. on the cake she was talking about!(The giant one in the back)

Now a side note......I don't think there is anyone on TV who is worse at their job than "Harry what's his name". I really can't stand to see him do an interview!

emrldsky Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:39pm
post #16 of 21
gateaux Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Was this the cake?

http://laist.com/attachments/la_zach/8-gay_marriage_california.jpg

I dont know but it's a nice cake.

Good Luck.

auntginn Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm
post #18 of 21

FYI This story ran live on all the major networks yesterday on the 5:00pm news.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamas

I am starting to feel like a real cake decorator. I absolutely cringe everytime I see the ceremonial cutting of the wedding cake by the same sex couple married in CA. I can't even hear what the reporter is saying I keep thinking why didn't they properly secure that cake . . .

Yes, I know here are more serious issues at hand but . . . . . . Well, . . . why didn't they properly secure that cake! lol

OMG!!! this is too funny, I was watching the news last night and all I could see was that poor old lady fighting trying to cut the cake, I was thinking...
Gosh! how HARD is that cake?!!!
ha ha ha

cupcakemkr Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm
post #20 of 21

I believe this is the link for the 80 year old ladies cake...I mean reception

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25201001#25201001

Mamas Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

I believe this is the link for the 80 year old ladies cake...I mean reception

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25201001#25201001

This is the cake and that was the couple but they edited out the part where she lifted the top tier just before placing the slice on a plate. Well at least I finally had a chance to hear the story . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%