My Name Is Kim And I Suffer From Occcd

Baking By Kim_in_CajunCountry Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 1:05am by kpry

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #1 of 31

That's Obsessive Cookie Cutter Collecting Disorder.

I already had a few cutters in the kitchen "junk drawer" and in the kids' Play-Doh bucket. Once I started talking about wanting to make decorated cookies, my mother (who doesn't throw ANYTHING away) went through her kitchen and gathered together a load of vintage cutters for me. Then I found myself ordering cutters online and bidding on cookie cutter lots on eBay. Now I have a huge collection of cutters and I want more!

I can't walk into a store without looking for cookie cutters or cookie inspiration. Tonight DH and I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work and immediately I noticed a shelf of clearance items with a basket of, you guessed it, cookie cutters! Just $.75 each. If only I could have figured out what the shapes represented. icon_redface.gif

In addition to cookie cutters, I find myself scouring the food sections of closeout-type department stores for sprinkles. You'd be amazed at what you can find. I've purchased the big, multicompartment shaker bottles of seasonal and themed sprinkle varieties for as little as $1.50 when they originally sold for $6! And they're just sugar so they must have a pretty hefty shelf life.

I fall asleep at night thinking of creative cookie designs and wake up in the morning wanting to play hooky from work so that I can make them.

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...but I must admit that I'm not exactly looking to kick the habit!

Can you relate?

30 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:14am
post #2 of 31

Well, even though I've done maybe 3 batches of decorated cookies since I went back to baking, I can relate to looking for inspiration.

I scour the discount closeout stores, too, looking for cutters, tools, whatever. And yes, I found the commercial (gallon-sized) sprinkles/jimmies in one of those stores for $2.00 per container. Another time, I found caramel-flavored sprinkles, which I had never seen before (8 oz container). So, of course, you know I stocked up on them.

I mostly use the jimmies for cake sides on dessert cakes, and stirred into my cake batter for a funfetti cake effect.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:32am
post #3 of 31

I am becoming a Wilton character pan junky. I live for yard sales on the weekend so I can go hunting. I hit the jackpot this past weekend. I found -

1. a Blues Clues 1999 pan for $.50
2. a 1987 cat pan FOR $1
3. a 3D pumpkin pan for $1 (don't even know the age!)
4. a 1976 Winnie the Pooh pan FOR $1
5. a set of Christmas cookie cutters, never used and still in the box for $.50

Don't worry, there could be worse things to be addicted to!

zuuzuu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zuuzuu Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:35am
post #4 of 31

OMG!!!! i thought i was the only one in the world obsessed with cookie cutter collecting!! i work in a little bakery in dorset (england) and i decorate cookies everyweek - frogs dinosaurs handbags shoes teddy bears people motorbikes cars flowers, even chilli peppers. you name it ive got the cutter!!! glad to know i'm not the only one!
xxx thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:40am
post #5 of 31

KeltoKel -

There are a bunch of members here who collect the pans. You should try to reach out to them and ask them what they think the value is of the pans you just got.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #6 of 31

here in germany, I too have a growing collection of cookie cutters and pans.!!!!! We must support our addiction!

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:46am
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

I am becoming a Wilton character pan junky. I live for yard sales on the weekend so I can go hunting. I hit the jackpot this past weekend. I found -

2. a 1987 cat pan FOR $1

Where do you live!!!
Here people have half price sales, not yard sales!!!
I when to one and the lady wanted 8 bucks for a used cake pan. She claimed Vintage/antique.

Teresa75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa75 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:50am
post #8 of 31

ME TOO!!!

I am addicted to almost all things cake. I am just getting my feet wet and find myself constanly looking for 'good deals' on cake stuff

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 31

BIG TIME.

I have been collecting cookie cutters even before I made cookies with them!

I am truly obsessed with them. It's the first thing I look for when entering a store, you wouldn't believe how many stores do have them. Unfortunately many of them I have already so I get most online.

I also am a sprinkle hound. If any of you are in WI, definitely check out Cake&Bake in Germantown, they have the best selection for every occasion!

Maybe we need a support group?

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 31

Oh it could be worse, my Mom, Dad and I own over three hundred charachter & shaped cake pans !! icon_eek.gif Hows that for addiction?? icon_redface.gif

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 31

[quote]

Quote:
Quote:

If any of you are in WI, definitely check out Cake&Bake in Germantown, they have the best selection for every occasion!quote]

Hi Cookiemookie - Does Cake & Bake in Germantown have a website. I'm in Racine, WI and would love to check them out!

Thanks,

Jeanene

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 31

I found it...I am a moron....cakeandbake.com....Duh!!!!

Too early...Need more coffee!

sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 31

icon_surprised.gif I'm so glad to know I'm not alone, and even have fellow OCCCD'ers in my own cajun home state.
Every trip to a store means heading directly to the cookie/sprinkle isle, even grocery stores. I had to start an excel spreadsheet because I caught myself buying cutters that I already had! icon_rolleyes.gif
My storage room is a disaster because my cookie cutters have taken over. I am in the process of deciding how to store and organize all of them. And worst of all.....I just saw the Dr. this week and he told me I had to stop staying up until all hours of the night working on my cookies (said I needed 7-8 hrs sleep to help avoid those migraines) icon_cry.gif
I'll just have to plan my evening better and take advantage of weekends since I work full time and do cookies too.
And have you noticed that when someone asks you about your cookies that you start talking and can't quit?
Count me in on the support group - obviously!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 31

LOL
My mom is a HUGE cookie cutter collector, and has over 600 different ones. She has them stored in baskets and popcorn tins all round the house. I'll probably inherit them, since my sister doesn't bake!

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 31

I am with you on cookie cutters. I easily have over 300 cutters and can think of dozens more that I want. I store them in one of those huge popcorn tins from Christmas and it is full with all my loose ones. The others come in the boxes. The more I think about it, I did buy another kit, so it is probably about 400 cutters.

LOL!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 31

Kim......... don't worry, you are in good company icon_biggrin.gif There is a National Cookie Cutters Collector Club,
http://www.frankencutters.com/cccc/
and also many State clubs you can belong too.. They have a National Convention every year also.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Be happy and collect away..... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #17 of 31

It's funny that you bring this up because just yesterday I found a Cookie Cutter Collectors Club. There was a convention last week in WI...there were some pictures on the site. Here is the website if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.frankencutters.com/cccc/

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #18 of 31

I can relate. Even though I don't have the time to bake too many cookies, I still love collecting the cutters. I ended up with so many over the years that I had to become more selective. So now it's more like a game. I search for only copper cookie cutters in unusual shapes and forms. That way I still have room in my house for other things like beds, couches, etc.!!!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 31

Kim......... don't worry, you are in good company There is a National Cookie Cutters Collector Club,
http://www.frankencutters.com/cccc/
and also many State clubs you can belong too.. They have a National Convention every year also..
Be happy and collect away.....

This is how I found out about ASM cutters. They are terrific if you can find them.

I'd love to join that if I had the time.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #20 of 31

Cakes, Cookies and Candies.........What better to have an addiction to, think of it this way we can't get busted for having them in our possession and they can't harm anyone.

My addiction is to Candy molds and Cookie cutters as well as cake decorating gadgets.

the only harm this does is to my closet, they're not big enough to hold everything and I am not allowed to take over the garage.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #21 of 31

Hi, my name is Gaby and I also suffer from OCCCD but my thing is for Wilton's Comfort Grip Cutters! I love them - I love them all! And I collect them all!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif I want them all!!

I'm missing some retired ones so if anyone is willing to help, I'm ready to pay! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
LL

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #22 of 31

Cakes, Cookies and Candies.........What better to have an addiction to, think of it this way we can't get busted for having them in our possession and they can't harm anyone.

My addiction is to Candy molds and Cookie cutters as well as cake decorating gadgets.

the only harm this does is to my closet, they're not big enough to hold everything and I am not allowed to take over the garage.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #23 of 31

Funny - when I first saw the OCCCD thing I thought it was going to be Obsessive Compulsive Cake Central Disorder!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's what I have. Oh, believe me, I have a TON of cutters too and look everywhere for them and for other cookie supplies, but I don't think I could do without CC either!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #24 of 31

Thank goodness I found this post! It's so nice to know there's a name for the disease I'm afflicted with - and it's not just that I'm crazy!!!

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

2. a 1987 cat pan FOR $1

Where do you live!!!
Here people have half price sales, not yard sales!!!
I when to one and the lady wanted 8 bucks for a used cake pan. She claimed Vintage/antique.

I am from Downingtown, PA. My area is notorious for random development and neighborhood yard sales - people just selling their junk. The most I have paid for a pan is $3.00 (A big bird pan that was 11 years old). I use craigslist.com for my yard sale information. Plus, there are often signs up on Thursday/Friday in the area telling you who is having a yard sale. If it isn't cake stuff I look for, it is Little Tykes stuff for my son.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:30pm
post #26 of 31

finally, a diagnosis lol-i think the only thing that has stopped (?) my obsession is that i live in a small town that doesn't really have a lot of different cookie cutters available-that and i can't buy online (yet) i understand that i can buy a prepaid MC so i'm coming online soon!!!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:44pm
post #27 of 31

It's great to know that I'm not alone.

playingwithsugar:OMG! Gallon size containers of sprinkles?

BakinCCC: I think you hit the nail on the head. My initial diagnosis is probably Obsessive Compulsive Cake Central Disorder, with Obsessive Cookie Cutter Collecting Disorder being a related condition!

KeltoKel: check out the "vintage" pan prices on eBay. You hit the jackpot! The only garage sales I'm allowed to attend are the ones where I do the selling! I'm not allowed to use the word "Clearance" in front of my husband because he just doesn't understand that it's not the money that I spend that's important - it's how much I've saved! So, when he asks where I've been I tell him, "I was visiting Clarence."

I'm all for starting a support group IF it means a group of financial backers to support our habits!

Happy hunting!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #28 of 31

I have a lot of cutters. Image I pick up 5 and 10 cent cutters at the used store sometimes, just so my DH can see me get rid of some... Image Sssshh...

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #29 of 31

I have it too!!! I hope there is no cure because it's sooooo much fun! I don't know how many I have (definitely 500 or more) but I'm still looking! Went to Home Goods today. Didn't have any (not a one). Couldn't get my fix so I went for an iced coffee (helped but not the same as a new cutter). I tried to catalog them so I wouldn't buy duplicates (always feel stupid when I figure out I already had that one). I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one. Maybe we should start a support group for those of us who suffer this obsession (or maybe for the spouses who have to put up with all the cookie cutter clutter!).

Keep searching and collecting! icon_biggrin.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #30 of 31

I just went on the frankencutters website and I know one of the officers. I never would guess they would be a collector. Small World!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%