Satin Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By traci Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 8:38am by martybeebe

traci Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #1 of 5

Hello friends,

I am needing to make some satin brown ribbon grease proof for wrapping around the bottom of a wedding cake this weekend.

In the past I have always greased the ribbon with crisco prior to putting on the cake and it works great. This time...since the ribbon is a dark almost looks black if I pre-grease with the crisco.

Anyone know how to make it grease proof???

Any suggestions would be helpful. The cake is for Sat. 6/21

Thanks to all! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
mcdonald Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:41am
post #2 of 5

iron some wax paper on the back of it... do a search here and there were a couple of discussions about this same thing....

mcdonald Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #3 of 5

I "iron" mine with wax paper. Cut a piece of wax paper the length of the ribbon and twice as wide. Sandwich the ribbon in between, place a towel or other cloth on top and iron on low until the wax is "transferred" to the ribbon. I've done this a few times and it hasn't failed me yet, plus it's easy to do.

This is a post from someone earlier today on how she uses the wax paper method... sorry I forgot to get her name....

traci Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your response.

I had read that a really long time ago but could not remember exactly what the process was.

martybeebe Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:38am
post #5 of 5

I waxed ribbon for a wedding cake a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe how well the ribbon held up with the buttercream icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%