70Th B-Day For Man

Decorating By Melan Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm by yaadie

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #1 of 14

I need to do a 70th b-day cake from my grandfather for the beginning of next month. I am drawing a BLANK in coming up with an idea. I think I want to do it as a 10 inch round, maybe with chocolate mmf, not sure though. Need ideas. He likes the color green, and he likes to golf, but i don't necessarily need to do a golf theme(nor do I want to). I want it to look like it is a man's cake -so no flowers. Any ideas? Please post pics if you have any ideas you think may work. I hate when I am stumped icon_sad.gif

13 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 14

You could do a golf shirt style stripe. Its not totally golfy, just sort of.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 14

I made this cake for a 65 year old man and he loved it. You could make a bag with golf clubs in it and lay it next to the chair.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1224914

Melan Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 14

After reading the ENTIRE post on "The cake crashed in the middle of the party" (The one that was the golf bag) I am affraid to do ANYTHING gold related!!! I like that one cake with the old man on the chair -very good! Just not right for this situation. He is going to be 70, but is still as fit and lively as he was30 years ago! An Over the Hill theme wouldn't work, especially since he's made it over that hill a long time ago!

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 14

when my husband turne 40 I wanted a special cake just for him, I wasn't doing detailed cakes at the time so I had my aunt make it..It was a sheet cake with 40 pigs on it!! I got the idea from a cake I saw when i was a kid back in Jamaica for a friend of my prents for HIS 40th It had 40 pigs also but in various activities/positions! my husband laughed when i brought out the cake and asked me if I was trying to tell him something!!
sorry I don't have a pic on the computer of my husbands cake and my scanner is broken, but it was nice, all buttercream! perhaps you could play upon his age and the fact that he is so energetic! maybe 70 animals of some sort doing some of his fav activities...they don't have to be big, maybe an inch or 2 high...if I can, I will take the photo to work tomorrow and scan it and then post it..

Melan Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaadie

when my husband turne 40 I wanted a special cake just for him, I wasn't doing detailed cakes at the time so I had my aunt make it..It was a sheet cake with 40 pigs on it!! I got the idea from a cake I saw when i was a kid back in Jamaica for a friend of my prents for HIS 40th It had 40 pigs also but in various activities/positions! my husband laughed when i brought out the cake and asked me if I was trying to tell him something!!
sorry I don't have a pic on the computer of my husbands cake and my scanner is broken, but it was nice, all buttercream! perhaps you could play upon his age and the fact that he is so energetic! maybe 70 animals of some sort doing some of his fav activities...they don't have to be big, maybe an inch or 2 high...if I can, I will take the photo to work tomorrow and scan it and then post it..

Yes, post a picture of that if you can -it sounds cute! I like the idea, maybe I could incorporate things he has done over his 70 years, that's a cute idea! Thanks!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 14

I like the idea of things that represent his life.... think about kids and grands, career, hobbies, fav foods, etc.

or you could do a Chocolate covered cake and have a green argyle pattern on the side then maybe his name or a 70 standing on top of a "pile" of golf balls..... oh or his name on a big golf ball - instead of the manufacturer name/ number.... Like this:

oh my gosh look at these I just found!

Melan Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 14

Wow! Those are perfect! Where did you find those? And I love the Argyle idea! I may run with that!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 14

here is the cake with the 40 pigs...the one I had done the pigs are all sitting down, the one I saw back home in jamaica that I was basing it off of, had the pigs in various positions and activities....hope I explained that right the first time....

yaadie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 14

sorry, for some reason the pic didn't post, I'll try again...
LL

Melan Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 14

Ha ha ha! I like the idea of the 40 pigs, I may need an entire sheet cake or two to fit 70! ha ha! Cute idea. did you pipe them?

yaadie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 14

my aunt did this one for me (I had her permission to post) yes, she piped them all on the cake, all buttercream, with the little one in the middle as a representation of our newborn at the time!! that cake was about 12 x 18 size, approx....
sorry the pic came out so blurry, but after I scanned it I was having trouble with it and had to do some resizing and stuff, didn't stay clear, but I think it shows the idea ok...

yaadie Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #14 of 14

the border was done in the leaf tip and in between the pigs are little leaves...I just noticed that you cant see that very clearly...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%