Single "ball" Separator?

Decorating By buttercream_dreams Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm by buttercream_dreams

buttercream_dreams Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so i got a request for a cake that looks (well in all actuality i think it is ugly..but) like this (see pic) and it seems pretty simplistic, accept I am a bit stumped over the ball separators..has anyone seen this before/and or successfully attempted it?
how would a cake like this be supported?

sorry, i know the picture is crappy..its from the client and all she had, and it looks to me like its obviously not a real cake, and that it wasnt meant to be leaning on the top tier..but really all i am concerned about is the balls...er..uh, separators i mean.
LL

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 5

Yes I think you're right. I think the display was to market the kids party thing they were doing. And yes I think the top cake was askew because if someone went to all that trouble to set a cake on there they would not have left the bottom of that cake so barren/raw looking.

So all that to say yes that could be done with the ball but the ball I think would have to be set off center. But honestly that would be really difficult to do logistics wise. Like the ball would have to be an illusion where the real supports were concealed inside. And when you offset tiers like that it gets kinda crazy. You could create an illusion of that. But that would be a stinker to do Oh but well you could use a dummy for that top tier though.

Ok here's two possible ways to do it:

1. use a dummy cake on top to achieve that angle
2. build a stand with pvc pipe & conceal the pipe in the ball.

Maybe do both of those ^^

Charge a fortune for this $15 to $20 a serving.

I think I'd call it the high wire act cake becasue it truly defies gravity and probably some other laws.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

Y'know like the calla lily cake that looks like the big wad of calla lilies are going through all the tiers? I think thinking like that will get you there. Y'know those center post clear wedding cake stands of differing heighths? You can cut those clear hollow pillars. I mean you can totally use pvc too then just cover it with an appropriate size ball--like two halves that fit together.

But to not have one side of the cake board touch the cake beneath is messing with my head. I think you're gonna have to get plumbing supplies and construct a sturdy stand.

But you could try it with the hollow clear pillar thing and just put a shim under the cake to make it a wonky angle. Have to try it to see if the shim would work.

That cake is a real trip.

AJsGirl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 5

These look like the Wilton ball separators, just placed differently. I'll see if I can find them on the Wilton site and post back.

buttercream_dreams Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 5

yeah, i thought they looked very similar to the wilton ball separators as well..but when wilton "showcases"/pictures them, isnt it like, 3 balls between each tier as opposed to just one? thanks for your responses guys..i have those acrylic stands..maybe i should attempt it.. /scared.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%