Wafer Paper Seams Bust!

Decorating By prettycakes Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 12:51am by wgoat5

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 6

Aughhh! So, the bride wanted green vertical stripes for her wedding cake. The picture she shows me is made out of Fondant, but that is out of her price range so we decide on butter cream. The closer the to the wedding, the more I think that tonz of butter cream stripes will be too bulkey and not give the clean look we want. So, i break down and invest in a printer and edible ink and I start out with wafer paper to practice with. I spend a few hours with print shop and work out my shades of greens and sizes of stripes and pattern, when I am finally happy I print out a few samples. They look good. This cake is going to look awsome.

I decide, when the bride pays for the cake I will order the frosting sheets and they will be in in time, only she doesn't pay until Wednesday before the wedding. Okay, so I stick with the wafer sheets. No problem right! I am a professional and can roll with the punches and can make anything work. Ha! Ha!

Well, let's just say that my inexperience with this product showed. The wedding reception was outside with a hot wind blowing. The wafer paper started to dry out in the wrong direction and all of my seams busted. The more I tried to fix it the worse it got. I finally gave up before all of the wafer paper started to crumble away from the cake.

I know that people liked it. They were taking pictures of it while I was still there and a few people came up and complimented me on it, but still. I knew it was wrong.

So, anyway, I posted a picture in the gallery, but I couldn't get it small enough to attach here, and I didn't take one after. I was too upset.

5 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 6

You did a great job on the stripes, the cake looks wonderful!

I'm not an expert on the edible images, but I'm not too sure you wouldn't have had the same result with the sugar sheets. The wind would have dried them out as bad if not worse than the wafer sheets, and I don't think it would have been pretty!

I'm sorry you had this experience, but maybe we can all learn from it. Still love the cake!

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 6

the cake looks fantastic, you did a great job it must have been the heat at the reception you have nothing to be sad about

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 6

Wafer paper isn't really interchangeable with frosting sheets as you are now well aware. Different animal. I do think that the frosting would have worked out better, but you still would have to deal with it going up and over the rounded edge of the cake. If it were me, I would have thrown in 30 minutes of fondant rolling for free as opposed to hours getting printing shades right. Live and learn icon_smile.gif

ok nevermind! lol the cake pic just loaded and I can see why you didn't go with the fondant! Now all I have to say is different animal, maybe next time try buying sheets from safeway (bakery) or something?

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the uplifting words. Live and learn is right. I usually learn from my mistakes, but I have no idea how to fix this problem. If I use to much sugar glue the paper wrinkles and dissolves into a huge mess, if I don't use enough, the paper just roles away from the cake. I will most assuredly loose sleep over this problem trying to figure out a way to fix it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #6 of 6

FYI they now have awesome chocolate wraps in these colors icon_smile.gif

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your cake icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry you had problems with this icon_sad.gif

I wish brides understood that wedding cakes really shouldn't be outside on hot days icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%