Making Gum Paste For The First Time...questions!

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 2:04am by LoriMc

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 3

Someone once told me you mixed powder sugar into the gum paste mix, but my instructions don't say that. Here are the instructions on my bag:

1 c gum paste mix and 1 T hot water. Blend 1/2 of mix and the water in a small lightly greased bowl. Stir in balance of the mix. Mix and form into a ball. Grease lightly and wrap in plastic. Let stand 24 hours. Change the amount of water or mix to get the desired consistency.

What do I roll it out on? Corn starch, powdered sugar, greased board? Do you think the amount in the recipe is enough to make a loop bow from?

Thanks!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:03am
post #2 of 3

It depends on the 'mix' whether or not you add powdered sugar. Apparently, your is complete except for water.

I would want to make a bit more than a cup, to be sure I had enough for extra bow loops (breakage may occur)

once the paste is no longer sticky in your fingers, you should be able to roll it on a very light dusted board using cornstarch in a stocking or multiple layers of cheesecloth. You want a very fine dust to avoid clumping and drying the gumpaste.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:04am
post #3 of 3

Oh dang...I am not prepared with all that stuff! Thanks though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%