Pretty Pink Polka Dots!!!!

Decorating By lesn Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm by Shelly4481

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to do a pink polka dot cake. I want to frost it with buttercream and then add the fondant polka dots. Is this possible? How do I attach them. Do I cut the dots out first and then frost the cake and place the dots where I want them. Do I need some type of "glue" to hold them in place?

Also I want to make a number 3 and possibly have the name sculpted out of fondant. Does that make sense? Do I use fondant to do these two things or do I use something else? What is the best way to do the name part?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks
Leslie

5 replies
luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 6

I have a few polka dot cakes in my photos. I use MMF to make the dots and just stick them to a buttercream cake. It is usuallly not necessary to use anything to glue them on.

I frost the cake and smooth it then cut out and stick the dots.

You would probably need to add gumtex to your fondant to sculpt the name.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Make sure you stick the dots on before the buttercream crusts...

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 6

I have a cake with polka dots in my gallery...I just painted a little clear vanilla on the back of the fondant dot to 'glue' it onto the cake.

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will go ahead and try that. Thanks
Leslie

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 6

Make sure to do the number or names ahead of time to let them dry. I usually put them on a piece of wax paper. Let dry one day turn them over and let finish drying. If doing a number remember while it is still soft to put a wire in it or use a toothpick so it will stand up on cake. I have used both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%