Mmf And Display Cakes

Decorating By jenncowin Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm by fondantgrl

jenncowin Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 3

I'm going to be working on some cakes that I'm entering in our local fair compitition and was wanting to cover one of them with fondant. To try to keep my cost down, I was thinking about using MMF, but wasn't sure how it would work long term-and the fair is the last week of July-first week of August, which equals heat and humidity. The building that the cakes are housed in is air conditioned, but it still gets warm in there.

Has anybody used the MMF for display cakes or should I bite the bullett and go ahead and use Wilton? (I can always use coupons to buy it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby) I wondering if the MMF might try to go soft in the heat. I had thought about adding Tylose to it so it will pull more moisture out, but I just don't know. Any help or suggestions is welcomed!!!!!

Thanks guys!

2 replies
JoAnnB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 3

If you do them ahead of time, the fondant will dry very well, and hold up just fine. unless it is in direct sunlight, even the heat generall won't melt it.

fondantgrl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 3

Your best choice for display is using MMF.....MMF is just like regular Fondant except that it taste a lot better.. But with texture and durability, they are exactly the same. Just don't put in under the Sun and bright light for they will fade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%