Royal Icing....does This Sound Right??

Decorating By scotiascrapper Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 12:26am by mamacc

scotiascrapper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scotiascrapper Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 12

I'm currently in Wilton Course 2 at Ms and Wednesday night we have to bring a batch of royal icing....the recipe in the book is US and being in Canada, we don't have "pure cane" sugar so my WMI gave us a recipe from Bulk Barn....weird thing is...it calls for 1 cup of Meringue Powder, 4 cups of icing sugar and water....

I've checked the Wilton site and yearbooks and the recipe there calls for only 3 tbsp of meringue powder with 4 cups of icing sugar...am I better off using the recipe from the book???

Also, she said that RI can be made no earlier than an hour before class but the yearbook says RI can be kept airtight at room temp for 2 weeks!! What's the real deal??

11 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 12

I would use the recipe in the book. 1 cup is A LOT of Meringue Powder!

Royal Icing can be made a kept for a couple of weeks, but it sometimes needs to be re-whipped. If you make it the day of your class, you should be okay.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 12

That sounds like waaaaay too much meringue powder!

The best recipe I've found so far is Antonia74's royal icing. Very nice to work with! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-0-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 12

1 cup is definately toooo much. Not more than than the 3 tablespoons for such a small amount of sugar.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 12

Go with the recipe that calls for 3T meringue.

Aalso, I have found that RI doesn't like humidity!!!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

Go with the recipe that calls for 3T meringue.

Aalso, I have found that RI doesn't like humidity!!!

Add more powdered sugar or less liquid when it's more humid out. That will fix the problem icon_smile.gif.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 12

Okay as a WMI, I can tell you you can make that icing more than an hour before class. It is best when at home to make and use it because it is fresh made and a good texture. If you let it sit it gets spongey and will seperate a little (after days.) It is still work able you will just need to stir it up really well in class before you add it to your bag. If it seperates, use your mixer on it for a minute or so.

But realisticly it isn't always to make icing right before class. My students often have day jobs and only have time to get something to eat before class or time to run home and grab their supplies. I also have students that come straight from work. In the 4 years we have never had problems with icing cause it was more than an hour old.

I can't help you with the measurements, as I've always used the Witlon recipe.

Why no pure cane sure there????

scotiascrapper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scotiascrapper Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks ladies!!

I'm definitely going to use the 3tbsp recipe!!

I don't know what the deal is with the pure sugar cane n/a here but that's what she told us...I don't even know what the difference is between confectioners sugar and pure cane...are they interchangeable in a recipe??

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 12

oh i used to use wilton's all the time until i discovered antonia's!! it's wonderful and i love the taste, dries great and when thinned out it's nice and smooth (it keeps great too, just need to stir it a bit) just take a look at her gallery and you'll come over to the other side

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 12

I took the class at Michael's as well. I used the EXACT recipe from the book. Just use Roger's icing sugar, or something similar. You will be fine. It always comes out perfect for me.

In other words, there really is no difference between what you use in the US and Canada.

Have fun. I LOVED my Wilton's classes. And was even asked to become an instructor. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiascrapper

I don't even know what the difference is between confectioners sugar and pure cane...are they interchangeable in a recipe??

Look in the bag of the bag of powder sugar. If it says pure cane or cane sugar it is pure cane. If it just says sugar then it is beet sugar. Beet sugar doesn't always work well in baking from what I have read.

Here the main brands of powder sugar are pure cake, like C&H, Imperial, Domino's. It is the generic brangs that you have to check on to see.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

oh i used to use wilton's all the time until i discovered antonia's!! it's wonderful and i love the taste, dries great and when thinned out it's nice and smooth (it keeps great too, just need to stir it a bit) just take a look at her gallery and you'll come over to the other side

LOL!!! So true! I've iced 200+ cookies at a time with antonia's recipe...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%