Pricing Question

Business By RuthWells Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm by RuthWells

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 4

I feel like an idiot even asking the question, but I am making my first "non-family" cake this week and am second-guessing myself. The cake was a raffle prize, so I'm not actually charging for it, but I want to provide a price so that the folks know what the value is. I want to price on the high range of the scale, because I'm not really looking to fill my schedule up with cakes -- but would enjoy doing them occassionally if the money were worth my time.

So, all of that being said, this week I'm making a 1/2 sheet, 2-layered graduation cake. I use all scratch recipes, all real butter, fresh eggs, etc. This cake will be a golden butter cake, filled and iced with chocolate Italian meringue buttercream, and decorated with more buttercream and a royal icing graduate's cap plaque.

My ingredients alone are in the $30-40 range, and I figure that at $2 per serving, this would be a $100 cake. Which sounds high to me! But I need a reality check from you fine folks.

Thanks!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 4

Others may have a different opinion, but $100 for a 2-layer 1/2 sheet seems reasonable to me.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 4

I agree. I think $100 is a great price seeing your are doing everything from scratch and making a gum paste cap.
Good luck!!!
thumbs_up.gif

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, ladies -- $100 it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%