Smbc And Bulging

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 3:21am by soygurl

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 5

My cakes are bulging really bad and I'm thinking it's from the SMBC because it's so soft. I don't want to change my icing though as everyone loves it and I don't like icings with shortening in it.

Are there any SMBC users out there that have any advice on how to stop the bulging??

4 replies
soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 5

What are you filling your cakes with? Do you chill/freeze your cake after the crumb coat?
I find that if my filling is too soft, or I don't leave enough space between the edge of the cake and where the filling stops. See, instead of piping a dam of icing I just leave about 1/4-1/2" of space between the edge of the filing and the edge of the cake and the space gets filled with SMBC when I do the crumb coat. But if my filling is too soft or too thick to begin with, even when I leave plenty of room, it will squish out the sides from the weigh of the cake and frosting on top.
I also freeze my cakes after the crumb coat to get the SMBC nice and hard before putting on the final coat (just have to watch out for condensation forming!), and I refrigerate after my final coat to get it hard again (well, and my fillings are cream based). thumbs_up.gif

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 5

Kelsie,

I do the same thing! But for some reason, as soon as the smbc starts coming to room temp, the bulging starts.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #4 of 5

i used smbc all the time. why don't you try adding cake crumbs to your smbc and piping that as the dam? its will be quite sturdy. also, i like to fill and lightly crumb coat my cakes, then let them sit for a few hours to let them "settle". if you see any bulges that this point, just used a serrated knife and trim the sides. after this you can go ahead and crumb coat the cake/cover in fondant and feel confident that you won't have any bulges later on.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 5

Hm... what type of filling are you using? The only thing I can figure is that it's too soft, or too thick... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%