Smbc And Bulging

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 3:21am by soygurl

mija10417 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 5

My cakes are bulging really bad and I'm thinking it's from the SMBC because it's so soft. I don't want to change my icing though as everyone loves it and I don't like icings with shortening in it.

Are there any SMBC users out there that have any advice on how to stop the bulging??

4 replies
soygurl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 5

What are you filling your cakes with? Do you chill/freeze your cake after the crumb coat?
I find that if my filling is too soft, or I don't leave enough space between the edge of the cake and where the filling stops. See, instead of piping a dam of icing I just leave about 1/4-1/2" of space between the edge of the filing and the edge of the cake and the space gets filled with SMBC when I do the crumb coat. But if my filling is too soft or too thick to begin with, even when I leave plenty of room, it will squish out the sides from the weigh of the cake and frosting on top.
I also freeze my cakes after the crumb coat to get the SMBC nice and hard before putting on the final coat (just have to watch out for condensation forming!), and I refrigerate after my final coat to get it hard again (well, and my fillings are cream based). thumbs_up.gif

mija10417 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 5

I do the same thing! But for some reason, as soon as the smbc starts coming to room temp, the bulging starts.

dailey Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #4 of 5

i used smbc all the time. why don't you try adding cake crumbs to your smbc and piping that as the dam? its will be quite sturdy. also, i like to fill and lightly crumb coat my cakes, then let them sit for a few hours to let them "settle". if you see any bulges that this point, just used a serrated knife and trim the sides. after this you can go ahead and crumb coat the cake/cover in fondant and feel confident that you won't have any bulges later on.

soygurl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 5

Hm... what type of filling are you using? The only thing I can figure is that it's too soft, or too thick... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%